Xantia V6 coolant temp sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Xantia V6 coolant temp sensors

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

Can anyone help me figure out what the part numbers are for the two REAR coolant temperature sensors on my Xantia V6, and suggest somewhere reliable to get them from ? I've been looking on service citroen but I can't figure out what category they're under.

The green ECU one at the front has already been replaced but the brown and blue (?) ones for the fans and dashboard temp gauge have not. The fan one is definitely a bit dicky as the fans will sometimes randomly come on high for a few seconds then back to normal again even when the temperature is perfectly normal.

I'm taking the upper manifold off again soon for another job for hopefully the last time in a while so now is the time to do them as they're both buried in the plumbers nightmare below the throttle body which is nearly impossible to get good access to when the manifold is in place.

Should I be able to get away with changing them without draining the coolant ? When I did the green one I had syphoned the coolant expansion chamber as I was replacing that too, but otherwise the system was still full of coolant. I was able to simply unscrew the old green one, plug the hole with my finger while I got the new one ready then screw it in loosing very little coolant. It dribbled out, it certainly didn't pour out.

Is there a good source of supply of these other than ebay ? Mister auto list a number of them but until I know what the part numbers are I can't be sure which is which:

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/engine- ... _g830.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia V6 coolant temp sensors

Post by RichardW »

Engine>cooling system>outlet tank switch probe

Gives up:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000133877 TEMPERATURE 17.85 GBP 21.42 GBP 21.42 GBP

0000133866 SENSOR 26.92 GBP 32.30 GBP 32.30 GBP

0000133884 SENSOR 27.06 GBP 32.47 GBP 32.47 GBP

The first one is the blue one screwed in the rear bank head - listed as NFP.

The second 2 are for the brown one screwed in the cross connection pipe - first is up to RPO 07728, second one after that. Still showing as available. All are shown as M14x1.25 -which is a different thread to the green ECU one which is listed as M12x1.5. No detail on resistance etc.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Access to the other two is not magical Simon. I'd take the opportunity to change the coolant personally as it's going to be messy otherwise.

However...

The Brown Bitron sensor often suffers bad connections due to it's location and tendency to get splashed with errant coolant.
In my experience the Bitron and blue senders very rarely fail and basically, if your gauge reads more or less OK I'd leave the blue one well alone.

Gauges in SII Xantias are not precision items; they are indicators only.

Bitron sensors tend to either work or not work in my experience.

So, I'd save your pennies, just clean the connections on the Bitron sensor and its plugs and save yourself some aggro :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'd like to change the coolant but I'm working on the pavement on a hill at the moment which is not somewhere I can really do a coolant change... :lol:

Ok you've talked me out of changing the sensors for now, I better focus on the task at hand (injectors etc) as I'm over committed as it is. I have given the sensor connectors a clean previously with no improvement, so either its the sensor or maybe the connector at the Bitron end - is that under the left headlight on a V6 as well ? I can't remember if I have found/cleaned that connector on this car, which means I probably haven't...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive