Home again. MPG.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Home again. MPG.

Post by qprdude »

Got back this evening from a 3 week trip to Surrey and other places. Overall mileage was around 1500 over the three weeks.

On the journey north, from Woking to Gretna, I fuelled up at Ottershaw, just outside Woking. The fuel computer readout at Gretna was just a shade under 45 MPG.

I topped up at Gretna, using as close as possible to the same method. I.E. stopped filling at the first pump cut-off both times. Diesel used was 30.34 litres, distance was 321 miles. Convert to gallons and divide miles by gallons gives me 48.053 (ish) MPG. Not a huge difference, but a difference nevertheless.

For a 2.2 L loaded with 4 suitcases and two adults, driven at motorway speeds except for about 8 miles of queueing at roadworks on the M6 and a bit of heavy traffic on the M40 and M25, I'm reasonably happy. I haven't filled up from the second leg yet, but the computer readout was a little bit higher so hopefully I'm getting a better return than I thought.
The southbound journey was quite a bit heavier on fuel according to the computer for some reason or another. We queued for an hour and a half in roadworks on the M74 but other than that there wasn't much difference between the two journeys.
The car behaved well as usual. Fantastic comfort , plenty overtaking torque and smooth cruising all the way.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Home again. MPG.

Post by vborovic »

Glad to hear your trip went OK ... the overtaking torque in my C5 is something that always puts a smile on my face ... especially compared to the previous Xsara ... "only" 2.0, but when those BHPs are put to work, the car accelerates like there's no tomorrow ... :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Either they are a lot better than the early ones or you have an engine that works properly.

Peter
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

its probably not as gummed up due to the EGR yet and i do wonder if its the twin turbo 2.2 or not...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

KP wrote:its probably not as gummed up due to the EGR yet and i do wonder if its the twin turbo 2.2 or not...
No idea, but it's bloody rapid, all the way from standstill to 100mph, with absolutely no hesitation at all.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

qprdude wrote:
KP wrote:its probably not as gummed up due to the EGR yet and i do wonder if its the twin turbo 2.2 or not...
No idea, but it's bloody rapid, all the way from standstill to 100mph, with absolutely no hesitation at all. I did read somewhere that the later 2.2 was Bi-Turbo
Rick.

osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

My average at the moment (7,000 miles) is 39mpg. Have managed 55mpg on a 200 mile round trip but almost fell asleep :lol:
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

osx wrote:My average at the moment (7,000 miles) is 39mpg. Have managed 55mpg on a 200 mile round trip but almost fell asleep :lol:

Not bad, but still not brilliant for the more efficient 2.0l. I expect the auto box reduces the mpg a little. I've never approached 55 mpg on any trip, even 560 miles mostly motorway!
For the first 50 miles or so I could get around 55, but I get impatient when the sat nav shows an arrival time of 10 hours away. It's a big heavy car and the sheer luxury outweighs the lower MPG as far as I'm concerned. I'd far rather travel the 565+ miles in rapid luxury, than fart about in a noisy 1.6 Focus.
:wink:
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I had to do some conversions, since we don't use mpg over here ... :D ... as for me, I did roughly 8100 miles (since I've bought the car 2nd hand), and my mpg is 47 ... the daily routine is 10-15 miles city ride, and once per week a 60-100 miles motorways/highways trip ... and I don't have a light foot on the gas pedal ...
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

You don't have to do any conversions. Just change the display units ;-)

The auto certainly has an effect but not much on the motorway I would think. However doing 80mph on average rather than 60mph makes a massive difference.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's a setting on the C5 X7 (and probably others) that can be changed using Lexia Diagbox as to whether the increased diesel used during a DPF regen is shown or masked on the onboard MPG display. I can't imagine it would amount to much diesel, but it might have a miniscule effect on overall consumption !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

I'm happy enough with my mpg....25k over 15 months, 138 16v remapped to around 170, plenty of poke even with the' slush' box :)
the old 8v 110 manual C5 was down to 38 average, although 242k probably didn't help :-D
both cars tend to be run with load equivalent to having 2/3 passengers all the time, the X7 is so much more comfortable though :lol:

M'way speeds are the killer, i tend to stick to around 75/76 usually, occasionally close to 80 but not for long periods especially in UK...even France where the limit is 80 is very rare

Click on the Fuelly box below for overall figures, highs/lows etc
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

osx wrote:You don't have to do any conversions. Just change the display units ;-)

The auto certainly has an effect but not much on the motorway I would think. However doing 80mph on average rather than 60mph makes a massive difference.
True, but I'm currently not close to the car, to just jump in and read the converted value on display, and since I knew what the current l/km ratio was, it was much simpler to do a little math for a change ... :D ... I think the most impact is when you manage to get in the 6th gear and keep it steady, I can drive at 120 km/h while the consumption is 5-5,2 l/100 km which is I think a great result ...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Some of the best figures I have seen for the 2.2 but they are about 30% down on the 2.0. which is quite a difference. To put it in perspective I regularly got 50+ mpg form my manual 2.1 XM td with an IDI engine, admittedly driving in a way that would have put OSX to sleep, driven in the same way I have had close to 70mpg from my 406 in ideal conditions.

I must admit that my 2.2 C5 did go well and was very smooth but I couldn't live with that fuel consumption but I am an OAP.

Peter
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I can say that it is really hard to drive this car with low consumption in mind, unless you want to accelerate on the green light till 50-60 km/h for half a minute ... :D ... and get on the nerves of the drivers in the back ... :D ... the thing that amuses me so far is that it is easy to get 30.0 l/100 km calculation while floored, and still be able to drive around under 6.0 l while driving under 120-130 km/h constantly ... so you get a powerful engine which on command jumps at every call, and yet at the end of the day have a low consumption (taking into consideration the BHPs than need to be fed properly) ... so far, my best result with the full gas tank was 1130 km ... but I was literally driving on fumes for the last 20 km and was on the edge whether or not the engine will shut down due to no fuel remaining ...