Hello and Xantia suspension issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kieran.l
My Cars:

Hello and Xantia suspension issue

Post by kieran.l »

Hello I'm new here but have searched the forum a few times, most recently to find some info that would help my uncle change the clutch clip on his 1995 Xantia diesel.

I grew up BXs, my father first getting one around 1990 (a 1985 19TRD) when I was three. So we've mostly had Citroens up to now with Peugeot 605 and then 406 in there too somewhere. My uncle also got into BXs around the same time as my father and his first one was a C reg 19DTR which some may know as its become somewhat infamous!

He now drives Xantias and its a problem with his 1995 one, described below, that propted me to join this forum.
I myself have a 1984 19RD which I bought two years ago in Wolsey House Motors and imported into Ireland. Also became a member of the CCC around that time and I'm on the BX Club forum too.

Anyway, as I said, my uncle has a suspension problem with his Xantia...its hard to explain...when he goes over a bump its like as if the nearside front strut extends too much - the car body moves up too quickly, leghting the strut and this is accompanied but a fierce bang as he would describe it. Its seems as if the strut is extending too freely and hittinf the internal bump stops...?
When he was describing it too me first, I thought it happened when the body was on the downward travel and the bang was because of no dampening, for example with a flat sphere, bur he said it is the opposite, as desribed - the body is actually traveling up and not down... Apologies for the convoluted way of explaining it!

Thanks for any advice in advance! :)

Kieran
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hello and Xantia suspension issue

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Kieran :-D

Have you checked the front corner spheres? The problem you describe may be attributable to a flat and ruptured sphere.

Is the Xantia in question Hydractive (VSX, Activa or Exclusive)? This can have a bearing on the final diagnosis...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kieran.l
My Cars:

Post by kieran.l »

Hi Jim,
Thanks, I think the spheres were changed about two years ago and because of this we might have wrongly assumed or just not thought of it being a sphere issue! I will definately get him to put on another sphere and see if that changes things :)
I don't know if its is Hydractive - I think it is an SX spec. It is a non-sinker.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

SX won't have Hydractive Kieran..

Spheres can certainly go pop in a couple of years so definitely worth a check if only to eliminate them..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kieran.l
My Cars:

Post by kieran.l »

Cheers Jim, will check out the spheres :)
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi there has he also checked the strut tops the infamous plates where they bolt to body as that will bottom them out and do odd things id also go through all the bits inc rear end as if they go hard fronts do a lot more work and seem softer
As front wheel drive cars have an odd suspension effect compared to rear wheel drives re balance.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi Kieran
Perfect vintage for failed strut tops, there's a sticky on the subject at the top of the page, should tell you all you need to know. Beware speared bonnet!!
Best of luck with it.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Yep 2nd that has being an unwilling recipient of one going. Easy way to see is a little dent on bonnet but upwards not down like a stone chip
kieran.l
My Cars:

Post by kieran.l »

Thanks for the advice lads. Had a look around the strut tops yesterday and they look ok and sitting normally. Even though it is a '95 the mileage isn't exceptionally high at 135k. My uncle has decided to replace all the spheres and see how it is then.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I think in Ireland you do not use the salt on the roads?
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Miguel wrote:I think in Ireland you do not use the salt on the roads?
Sadly, in recent years, yes we do.
We import megatonnes of the stuff, just to dump on our major roads and pollute our watercourses, paying handsomely for the privilege too!
However, the expense means there's usually not enough to do the rural roads, so cars from rural areas don't tend to get much salting.
In the UK there are massive natural reserves of salt and it gets spread freely on anything resembling a road at the slightest hint of a cold snap, so British cars, for all intents and purposes, may as well be living on the beach for much of the winter season.
Irish cars generally therefore, tend to suffer from more generalised rust, caused by atmospheric conditions, rather than the localised "dissolving bottom six inches" associated with UK ones.
I had no trouble opening the nuts on my anti-roll-bar drop links, for example!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
kieran.l
My Cars:

Post by kieran.l »

Yes, as Sparksie said :) Live in the country so salt rarely used on our roads. But living by the sea is a whole other issue! :-D
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi