Lexia Locations Central Scotland

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bddeazeley
My Cars:

Lexia Locations Central Scotland

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Folks,
I need my Xantia 2.1 (XUD11bte) given a diagnostic check for intermittent loud diesel knocking/rough idle/lack of power. According to what I have read this appears to be a relatively common symptom on this engine with various car manufacturers but there are many causes. I have had the problem for some time and have changed some sensors, eliminated air in fuel lines with a new filter bowl and seals but the problems still exists. At times the car runs great and then for no apparent reason the fault symptoms re-appear. I have tried contacting forum members with Lexias who are listed on the Lexia map but have received no replies. Before I arrange a diagnostic session with a Citroen dealer are there any members in the Central Scotland area with a Lexia who would consider having a go at reading any fault codes on my car. Obviously I am prepared to pay for this service. Many Thanks, Brian.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Lexia Locations Central Scotland

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The following link has a list of all Lexia owners willing to help;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Thanks for the replies. I sent messages to the two nearest members some time ago but did not receive any replies. I will message them again but both members have not been on the Forum for some years so it may be fruitless. Fingers crossed.

Brian
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Yup, I'm on the list and can lend a hand if required.

Is the 2.1 not mechanical though? Is a lexia likely to find any problems?

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

superloopy wrote: Simon (Mandrake) is also a Glasgow boy I believe but surprisingly doesn't appear on the Lexia list although i'm sure he would be v.forthcoming with any assistance needed.
Yes I'm not far from Glasgow Mike and normally I'd be happy to help but I haven't stepped forward this time as I'm just too over committed at the moment. :(

I'm in full house hunting mode for the foreseeable future (until we find a house to buy and get moved in!) and my next few weekends are also going to be me frantically catching up on a backlog of work on my car to try to get it ready for it's rapidly approaching MOT. [-o< Given how much time I've spent on this car lately I think if I spent any more time on car related stuff at the moment I'd be killed by SWMBO in short order. :twisted:

I also have zero experience with diesel engines - I've never owned a diesel, I've never tried to troubleshoot one and have only the most basic understanding of how a mechanical diesel works, let alone an ECU controlled one, so I really would have no clue what I was doing other than connecting the Lexia... If it were a petrol engine it would be a different story. ;)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Many thanks everybody for your responses I do appreciate it. I have sent a PM to Dave to arrange a meeting and hopefully get to the cause of this problem of an intermittent loud diesel knock, which only lasts a few seconds and at times the car runs slightly rough and lacks power under acceleration. The symptoms, as I have read on various Forums, are relatively common with cars fitted with the XUD11bte engine which utilises the Lucas Epic pump and although there are many suggested causes there appears to be no definitive cure. Hopefully any recorded fault codes will give a clue to the cause and a remedy.
Regards,
Brian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Alternatively, if David doesn't work out, and you are free on 31st May, you can come to mine (Lanark) when Simon is coming round to do the rear brakes on his, and will probably bing his Lexia - I can plug it into yours and see what can be seen.

Having said that....

CitroJim is the master of all things XUD11 :lol:
If it's intermittent then you may not find anything - unless you catch it doing it. Likely that it is changing the timing in response to something (potentially loss of a signal). Although, IIRC these are susceptible to air leaks into fuel causing all sorts of running mayhem!
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hope you get it sorted Brian - you're definitely in good hands if you visit David :)

Hopefully you do find some fault codes logged that point in the right direction because subtle intermittent faults like these have a tendency to not log any fault codes, especially on older simpler ECU's like those in Xantia's - that's where an understanding of how a diesel engine should run is helpful so that you can make sense of the live sensor data while the engine is running which could be the only clue as to the cause.

I battled for nearly a year on my Xantia (petrol) to find intermittent low power and intermittent misfire and not once did the ECU log a helpful or relevant fault code - I ended up tracking down the cause in other ways, including scope testing of the oxygen sensor and other sensor signals! So while a Lexia is very helpful it's by no means a magic bullet especially on these older cars...
Last edited by Mandrake on 08 May 2014, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Alternatively, if David doesn't work out, and you are free on 31st May, you can come to mine (Lanark) when Simon is coming round to do the rear brakes on his, and will probably bing his Lexia - I can plug it into yours and see what can be seen.
Even though we're only doing brakes, I'll make sure to bring it - you never know with Citroen's, it could throw a hissy fit on the way over. :lol:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Many thanks to David Hallworth for his time and knowledge in carrying out a Lexia diagnostic session on my Xantia 2.1TD. It was a fascinating experience and David is very competent and knowledgeable and made me most welcome.

The following is the diagnostic report and I would appreciate the opinions and advice of members on the report.

PERMANENT FAULT - DIESEL THERMISTOR
PERMANENT FAULT - CAM POSITION SENSOR 1
PERMANENT FAULT - CAM POSITION SENSOR 2

FAULTS CLEARED, FAULTS STILL EXIST

CAM ACTUATOR TEST - ENGINE NOTE CHANGED AS EXPECTED.
PUMP TIMING AT 3000RPM - 0.0 - 1.0 EXACTLY, NO DECIMAL PLACES.

ENGINE RUNNING FOR 2 - 3 MINUTES:

INTERMITTENT FAULT - CAM POSITION SENSOR 2

Thanks,
Brian
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Hi Brian,

It was a pleasure meeting you, hopefully someone who knows a bit more about the 2.1TD will be along and able to offer a few more suggestions then I could.

Sorry I had to rush off, it turned into a busy afternoon in the end. Finally got in from the workshop at 8pm!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel