C15 with mystery battery drain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben*17

C15 with mystery battery drain

Post by Ben*17 »

Hi all, I have an 05 1.9 C15 that I aquired from a friend with a host of various problems. The lasted issue is that something seems to be draining the battery while it is sat. I have put a new battery on and have spent a lot of time fiddling with the electrics trying to sort some of the other issues I have had. I have tried to test what is draining the battery by measuring amps between the neg terminal and the lead but I am having the same problem using 2 different multimeters. On the 10A setting the display flashes up and quickly goes back to 0 making it impossible to know an exact figure and work out what is causing the drain. I had though the problem was the alternator, as this figure does seem to drop when I disconnect the alternator. I have changed the alternator but the battery drain remains. As I am sure you can tell I have far from being an auto electrician so I was hoping someone would be able to give me some idea of what the problem might be or why the multimeter is not giving me a proper reading. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C15 with mystery battery drain

Post by Peter.N. »

It doesn't sound as though the drain is there all the time although it would normally read something even if it was OK, about 100ma is about the most it should read, that would discharge the battery at the rate of 1ah every 10 hours. What is the voltage across the battery with the engine running and then say 5 mins after turning it off?

Peter
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

It seems unlikely, but could the drain be in excess of 10A and the meter be protected against over current?
There'd be a big spark when connecting it, if that were the case!
How long does it take to go from charged to unable-to-start-the-engine?
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Are there any aftermarket electrical items fitted to the car that are not standard, alarm, handsfree kit, different radio etc ?
have you got the leads in the right positions on your multimeter ? the amps setting will use a different lead position to the volts & ohms settings.