C5 new windscreen = noisy interior

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

C5 new windscreen = noisy interior

Post by GB »

Had a new windscreen fitted about 3 weeks ago by Autoglass. From the moment I picked the car up from them I noticed much more engine noise inside the cabin. It sounds like there is some soundproofing missing from the firewall: it is an engine top noise (can hear the noisy valves and fuel injectors when accelerating). I've noticed a handful of firewall soundproofing mounting grommets/nuts missing, but apart from that everything seems ok.

Autoglass obviously deny not refitting everything properly, but there is something definitely wrong. I just returned from a 1500 mile trip, and it wasn't a very pleasant drive this time. The extra engine noise is definitely noticeable.

Any ideas what could it be? Is there anything in the engine bay that they would need to remove and refit from under the scuttle when replacing the windscreen?
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Have they actually sealed it properly?
GB
My Cars:

Re: C5 new windscreen = noisy interior

Post by GB »

No water leaks that I can tell.

The noise is coming from the centre, behind the centre display panel. This corresponds to the missing soundproofing screws/nuts, but I'm not sure whether such small gaps in soundproofing would make such a difference.

I'm just wondering whether there was something under the scuttle that they didn't fit.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Did it have an acoustic screen?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Glassman
New User
My Cars:

Post by Glassman »

Models up to 2008 did not have an acoustic screen option. 2008 > on do.

There may be an issue with the fitting, eg the screen is not bonded correctly. Can you see which brand of glass it is?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The smallest hole will let a lot of noise through. If there are grommets missing, there's every chance that this is the problem.
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

The windscreen brand is Guardian.

It sounds like the noise is getting through the firewall just below the windscreen behind the centre display. The outside traffic noise is the same, it is the engine noise from under the bonnet that bothers me.

Would they remove any seals under the scuttle? Are there any seals between the windscreen and the dashboard?

BTW, there are 4 grommets missing - this is probably the noise cause, the sound proofing appears quite loose without them. Can't seem to find them in service.citroen.com though.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

If they weren't missing before the new glass was fitted, you should be taking the car back to have the job finished properly.
Rick.

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

If they were lost during the job, then the fitter should have mentioned it and offered some form of compensation, if not in a position to replace them!
It may be that there were some missing anyway and those that remained were replaced in different positions after the job.
This often happens with older cars, where work has been carried out before and bits have been misplaced.
We generally try to replace any such things when we discover them, because in this trade any problem is always the responsibility of the last person to touch it. We keep a stock of trim clips, grommets, screws, bolts, nuts and adhesives and even some industrial polythene sheet, all specifically to tidy up shoddy workmanship we stumble across in the course of our work. Though we do occasionally lose/break things ourselves too, of course.
It does sometimes happen that a piece of trim, or a clip is not obtainable in the time available.
When that happens the usual thing would be to try and leave the omission in an easily accessed place and tell the client about it, so we can arrange a visit to fit it later.
Sometimes the client lets us off the hook, sometimes not, but at least there are no surprises! Never having seen a C5 up close, let alone looked under the bonnet, I don't know what your grommets look like, so I can't say whether we have them. If we have I could stuff them in an envelope for you...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Found the part number: 6995x9

The middle image.

My local friendly Citroen stealer can't be bothered to order them in. Need 5. Will probably have to order them online from Germany.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Am I right in thinking those are a push on device, with the central hole fitting over a threaded stud welded to the bulkhead?
We certainly used to have those, in a couple of sizes, though I can't be sure we still have any as I haven't seen them recently.
What size are they?
If I can find them I'll post them...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Yep.

According to service.citroen.com they are 9.5 x 30 - 12.

Thanks!
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

ok
I'll try and remember to have a poke around for them tomorrow.
Watch this space.
The 30 refers to the "head" diameter, but the 9.5 and 12 are less easy to identify, being stem diameter and overall depth, but which is which?
Of more interest is the missing dimension, the internal diameter of the hole. I suspect that'll be around 4mm...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I lost some similar clips from a Rover 75 a few years ago, and managed to get a packet of 10 from a oval motor factor for a few pounds. I don't think they are purely a Citroen part, as many manufacturers use much the same clips. If you take a sample one off and take it to a factors you might save a bit of time and can if sparksie can't help.
Rick.

GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Yep, it looks about 4mm.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI