Which starter do I fit?? I have 2 and they're different

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alangeering

Which starter do I fit?? I have 2 and they're different

Post by alangeering »

(Note: This also posted on BerlingoForum.co.uk)

Oh dear.

Vehicle: Berlingo Multispace Forte, 2.0 Hdi, registered Jan 2004

I went to two well known car part suppliers (EURO and GSF) and put in my registration and got a few options that are supposed to be correct for my car.

I got the first one from GSF (a 1.7 kW VALEO D9R84), but when I got the old one out and compared them they looked really different. The solenoid control wire on my car is a ring tag and this new VALEO unit had a spade connection.

There were no stickers on the old one but the casting was identified as a BOSCH. So this morning I picked up the BOSCH starter that is available at EURO (see photo). This looks to be the same size and has the same connections - but it's only rated at 1.4 kW. I read that my car should have a 1.7 kW starter.

Which should be fitted?
1. BOSCH
2. VALEO
3. none of the above

My wife is upset I didn't take the car to a garage and is asking all the time when our one and only car will be back on the road... so any help appreciated.

Photo: Old BOSCH and new VALEO

Photo: Old BOSCH zoom

Photo: New BOSCH

Many thanks!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Which starter do I fit?? I have 2 and they're different

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Although I personally won't be able to help, if you post up the last 8 digits of the VIN somebody with the relevant information will be able to tell you what your car had when it came out of the factory.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Alan

I appreciate this can be confusing.
It's entirely feasible they're both right, or indeed neither right!
What you need to do is compare the old and new WHERE IT MATTERS!
Front bracket: Are the holes in the right place and are they the right size? Are any threaded?
Pinion: Is it the right diameter and has it the right number of teeth?
Throw: Does the pinion sit in the right place when not engaged? It must clear the ring gear when not actually cranking!
Does it pull out the correct distance? It must engage FULLY in the ring gear when needed!
Body: Will it physically fit on the engine, without fouling anything? Are the wires long enough?
If all that checks out, then the higher power is better. If the small solenoid connection has the wrong connector, just change the connector on the wire to suit it! It's not difficult...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
alangeering

Post by alangeering »

They both seem like they will fit (there's enough space around for the larger unit) but I think I'll fit the Bosch 1.4 kW as it's exactly the same dimensions and connections as the old on. Doing some research online I've seen a 1.4 kW starter was installed from factory on some 2.0 Hdi engines. Hopefully I can get it all in and tested before any rain comes.

Thanks sparksie,
Alan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as James says if you post the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i can get you the OE part No.,
and probably for both makes of starter
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
alangeering

Post by alangeering »

Thanks guys, I fitted the Bosch starter and it started wonderfully. Best start for two years. Wife happy, life is chilled out again.

Thanks, Alan
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well done.
Nice to be able to source two brand new starters, just when you want them and over a bank holiday weekend.
When those kind of things happen to me I invariably wind up with a starter shaped jigsaw puzzle, where some of the bits aren't even from the starter I'm trying to repair!
I don't know how many commutators I've dressed with a flat file and a bench drill, or brushes filed down to size to fit where they were never intended to.
Even second hand front bushings can be reused with care, if the need is desperate enough!
In my case there's usually a customer looking over my shoulder when I do things like this. You can't justify a day spent building a very second hand starter, if the client doesn't get to see the work involved. When they do, however, there are never any complaints, just joy at being able to make the ferry, or whatever critical event the car decided to try and miss!
For a DIYer, however, where time is theoretically "free", there can be significant savings if you know your way around the workings of your rotating electrics.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD