1.6 Hdi cold running issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

1.6 Hdi cold running issue

Post by RichardW »

I thought I was imagining it, but definitely not this morning. This the C4GP with the 110 BHP engine. When cold it seems to hesitate as you change up into second and demand some go - this morning it took a good 2-3 seconds to pick up from idle as I changed up. However, after that it runs just fine, response and performance being similar to the 307 1.6 HDi I've just acquired. It is also sometimes just a tad reluctant to start - not much, just a couple of revs longer before it catches - although I started it on Saturday to move it off the drive so we could get Mandrake's V6 in, and it ran like a bag of spanners for a couple of seconds - like it was running on 2.5 cylinders. No obvious smoke, but that may be hidden by the DPF. I checked the DPF pressure drop, air flow, and fuel pressure the other day when I was re-coding keys, and nothing looked amiss - very similar numbers to the 307. Regen cycle about 300miles, which seems average, plenty of additive left. There is a glow plug fault recorded, but that's been there since we had it, and has not caused problems so far (although maybe we are down 2 now). I REALLY don't fancy changing the plugs on this!! Know there's not much 1.6 info on here, but maybe Lighty will look in..... :lol:

Info: 72k, turbo changed about 2k ago, VVT is nice and free. Fuel filter changed about 15k ago. Just had a long run down to Gloucester and back, so that should have blown the cobwebs away - but as it's mostly used by SWMBO for local stuff, maybe it just needs a good thrashing for a few days!

I'm thinking of blocking the EGR, but hear conflicting views on whether this will upset the DPF regen, not at all sure how easy it will be on this installation (it's on the back of the head, in a nice accessible place. Not!). Might also give it some injector cleaner. No idea where to go after that though.... Chop it in perhaps :evil:
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: 1.6 Hdi cold running issue

Post by citroenxm »

Richard,

EGR valve is an ELECTRONIC motor that turns through 45 deg and shaped which turns the valve open/closed! When the EGR valve controller is off the valve the valve is free to move with NO springs on it!!

Being an electronicly controled EGR makes things a bit harder when it comes to remove and blank! Without a program it simply cant be removed like a Vaccuum controled one.

DO NOT DO THE HEATER PLUGS! I say this, because I tried to do my sisters, and ALL THREE snapped off! They are still in there now, though the car starts perfectly and runs well..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I think the problem will be the plugs, just getting one of these , hoping it will solve the issue of breakage.
The glows in this engine aid running for quite a while when the engine is cold. The Ford cars with this engine put the engine light on when a glow plug fails.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

None of my sister plugs work and it starts and runs perfectly fine. Also my brothers 1.6 207 SW .. plugs only work under a certain temperture .. do they not?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I believe they only come on as pre-heaters when the temperature is below -5°C but run as post-heaters for a while to reduce emissions and make cold running smoother.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Do you think there would be room to get that tool in over the top of the engine in the C4 Pic set up Lighty? Or drop the engine out just to change the plugs :P It's got to be an obvious place to start, given the fault code, unfortunately..... :twisted:

I recall your troubles Paul, hence my reluctance to fiddle - combined with them being hidden under the scuttle panel. I've read a bit about the EGR valve - you can't just disconnect it as it throws the EML on - but I suppose I could do this for a test. Blanking plates available from e-bay cheaply which leaves the electronics intact, but what I'm not sure about is if it uses a higher level of EGR to boost the temp for regen, and hence blocking it off might affect the regen.

Could go at the plugs, then if some break off, chop it in.... [-X
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Just had a long run down to Gloucester and back, so that should have blown the cobwebs away - but as it's mostly used by SWMBO for local stuff, maybe it just needs a good thrashing for a few days!
If SWMBO uses it mainly as a shopping trolley, maybe swap cars one day a week so it gets a regular long distance blast to work and back ? :-D

I would imagine that DPF diesels really don't like being used only as shopping trolleys that never warm up properly or see the open road...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most Hdi's will start OK without the glow plugs - unless you live in Siberia.