Xantia sump gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia sump gasket

Post by froggy »

Hi , I need to change the sump gasket on my S1 Xantia. is there a certain way or order to retighten the many sump bolts ? as there are so many ! thanks in advance Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Xantia sump gasket

Post by Old-Guy »

"As there are so many" (bolts)!
You're not kidding! and some are real pigs to get at. I recently had the sump off the Green Lady to inspect the big-ends and main bearings.

With the HP pump located like the Green Lady - pump below the alternator - you need to remove the alternator to undo the pump mounting (support the pump with a big cable-tie) and then remove the alternator bracket. You'll also need to loosen the pressure regulator bracket and remove the lower flywheel shield to get at other bolts.

That's the easy bit. Now you've got to break the old sump seal. Ex factory, the sumps are stuck on with some sort of 'putty'. I found that the only thing that worked for me was a thin, narrow (about 2" wide), sharp, steel "pallet knife" type of paint scraper and simply cut the putty all the way round. This is also the ideal tool to clean off the crank-case and sump joint faces. I used Hylomar which was all I had on a Sunday afternoon - works perfectly provided you thoroughly degrease the joint faces (and wipe off all oil from the inside of the crankcase).

As for tightening sequence: I popped in a pair of bolts diagonally opposite, held the sump up in place with one hand while doing them up finger-tight with the other. Then I spun all the others in 'finger-tight', just going round in a circle, then kept going round gently tightening progressively. Finally, torque up to the specified 19NM.

Took about 4 hours! Armed with the above knowledge shouldn't take more than 3! :shock:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

No order as far as I'm aware. I just very gently tighten every 2nd or 3rd bolt, once the sump's in position, and keep going round and round. You think you've tightened them all, and check, only to find that they can be tightened yet again. If you are using a silicon sealant, some may suggest you only gently tighten them initially, and allow the sealant to set, before doing the "final" tightening.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

I need to change my sump gasket also. I have put in a new one when I was renewing my engine (2.0 TCT) but the oil is leaking!!! Now I will use silicone seal as Xantidote suggested...
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Be careful to use an oxygen sensor safe sealant on the sump of a petrol engine...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive