weird electrical fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carnage65

weird electrical fault

Post by carnage65 »

I am in the process of fitting tow bar electrics when the nearside tail indicator stopped working. The rest of the electrics are all working including the other two nearside indicators.

I have checked the multi plug at the light cluster and there is no supply. The rest of the lights in the cluster are working.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

George.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: weird electrical fault

Post by Peter.N. »

You will probably find a blown fuse, if it blows on replacement you have a short to earth.

Peter
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

I doubt the fuse theory, given the other indicators on that side are still working.
Check the connector where the loom plugs into the light unit, check the bulb holder (and the bulb!)
If this doesn't reveal the problem, then it seems likely you have a break in the wire to that lamp.
It may be in the loom, behind the light unit, where it has to flex a lot, to allow bulbs to be replaced.
But, often, it happens because somebody has used a "Scotchlok" connector to splice in to the loom and allowed water access to the conductor, while creating a weak spot in the sleeve. Wires often break where such damage to the outer sleeve has occurred.
When checking for a power supply to an indicator, it's best to use an analogue meter. Digital ones don't react quickly enough to ahow the voltage rising and falling as the flasher unit does it's thing
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry :oops: Didn't read the post properly - again.