Rear passenger door not opening with handle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ej2095
My Cars:

Rear passenger door not opening with handle

Post by ej2095 »

very odd on c5 i can open it from the inside but every now and then it wont open from the outside?

Any ideas?
C5 2.2 HDI Estate mk1 (With a anti theft fury dice device)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Rear passenger door not opening with handle

Post by Old-Guy »

Over the years since central locking became common, I've had this problem several times. The cure has always been to lubricate the latch/lock mechanisms (aerosol white grease) inside the door. The mechanism becomes stiff (or worn) so that sometimes the electric lock mechanism isn't powerful enough to operate it. Next problem (if it hasn't already happened) is likely to be the reverse - the door sometimes doesn't lock. Xantia Estates are fond of this trick - how do I know, all 3 of ours have suffered from this from time to time.

Once, the cure has also included adding a thin (Belville) washer to stop a right-angle bend in the end of a push-pull rod sliding through the badly worn hole in one of the flat levers.

Don't leave it until you can no longer open the door - then it's Catch22: to get at the door-opening mechanism, the door card has to come off; to get the door card off the door has to be opened .... :roll:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)