C4 GP Seat stuck

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

C4 GP Seat stuck

Post by RichardW »

The front passenger seat is stuck on our C4 GP. Pretty sure it's got a felt tip pen stuck in the inboard runner. Looking around this doesn't appear to be an unknown problem, but what I haven't got to the bottom of is how to fix it! As the seat is almost right forward, the end of the release bar is obscuring the front mounting bolts. Any one got any bright ideas as to how to get it out? Looks like there are 8 bolts holding the seat frame down to the runnsers, but access to these is, er, limited, and I'm not convinced that I will find that they are not captive nuts, bolted through from underneath. I wonder if I might be able to make a tool by welding a torx bit into a nut, and then cutting the excess off the top so that I can turn it with an open ended spanner just under the end of the release bar.
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: C4 GP Seat stuck

Post by lexi »

I think you better get the kneepads out and the dentist mirrors :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

lexi wrote:I think you better get the kneepads out and the dentist mirrors :lol:
Agreed. :lol: I don't envy you Richard, I've had a stuck seat before too, in my case one of the bolts was not tight and had worked loose until it jammed the rail from sliding.

I don't remember how I fixed it but I'm sure it involved a lot of time and a filled up swear jar. :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Success!

After trying to get on the bolt in the runner, and trying poke out the pen from the front without success, decided to try and go in from the top. Stripped out the centre console (not as easy it sounds!), then the plastic side plates off the seats (which requires quite a bit of 'gentle persuasion' :-D ) I got access the 6 bolts holding the frame to the seats. Once these were out (not captive as I had feared, and not that bad although the one behind the belt pretensioner on the outside was awkward, and would be nigh on impossible without a flex head ratchet spanner) the seat lifted clear. This revealed a hole in the top of the runner above the stuck pen, and a bit of jiggling with a screwdriver freed the pen, and the runners are now sliding again 8-) So now I just have to remove the runners from the car, re-unite them with seat base, re-install the plastic covers, work out how to reconnect the pre-tensioner (just realised that may not be that easy!!!) refit the seat, and all the plastic trim and away we go.

Now, boys DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Got it back together - there is something wrong with the bolt on the bottom of the seat belt with the pre-tensioner, as I can't undo it - might be stripped or something inside. Anyway, you can put the seat back together in the car, then bolt it down OK. There belt is supposed to clip into this fitting, but I couldn't work out how to release it.
Richard W