306 TD radiator / fan problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

306 TD radiator / fan problems

Post by batwad »

Hi,
Anybody here have experience of removing the radiator and fan assembly from a '94 306 TD? I nearly boiled over today on the bloody M25 when the fans didn't kick in. Also, are the two fans run in series or parallel? Any other points to check which might be the cause of them not kicking in, other than the fan motors themselves?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Not familiar with the 306 but if you can take the grill off there are usualy three relays in a box between the two fans (most citroens are like this), they can suffer corrosion of the spade terminals on the relays.
The fans will run in series at six volts for low speed and in parralel at 12 volts for high speed.
Has it got aircon.
Is there a thermo switch in the radiator, if there is bridge it out and see what happens.
Dave
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

There's no aircon, which will hopefully make things easier.
After an hour spent digesting the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual today I bridged the fan switch and could hear a relay switching inside the radiator but the fans didn't come on.
The manual didn't make getting the rad out sound too tricky, but we know how easy it can make some things sound; "drive the bearing assembly from the hub" is my favourite summary for something that took me three days. Roll on Sunday!
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I had the rad and fans out this morning, which was a mercifuly painless task (save for the mild scratching on my forearms from the rad). Seems some monkey had done some work on it before but not pushed the wiring connecters into the fans properly as one was fully disconnected and the other was loose. Drove them home, all working lovely.
The coolant I got out looked like Bisto so I took the opportunity to flush the entire system. Alas now the bottom hose union is leaking, so I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get myself a new hose and O-ring. Anybody got any tips for getting a good seal?
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

The union at the bottom hose is a pig to install due the lack of space.
I first spray some WD 40 on the o ring (sparingly) and push the bottom union in from the bottom of the car instead of extending your arms down from the top of the car.
Hopes this helps.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Thanks for that. You're right, it is a pig. So much so that I gave up doing it that way. As the system was completely flushed and I was replacing the pipe, I connected it with the rad out of the car. Since the new hose was pretty flexible it was straightforward to feed it through with someone else moving the rad into position. This also meant I could test the union for leaks with the rad out. All in all, a job well done even if I do say so myself.
Now I just need to wait for a traffic jam...