Xantia TD engine mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Xantia TD engine mount

Post by Gavin1 »

A strange one! - The bolts that hold the engine mount to the engine block have stripped (timing belt side)- one has sheared and the other have more or less stripped their threads. I've no idea of why this has happened - in the two years I have owned the car I certainly havn't loosened them!
Without taking the engine out to tap and re thread the block does any one have any ideas on how to fix the bolts back in - is there a glue of any sort that could be used? Bit of a long shot I know, but the car is old and not worth having the engine taken out by a garage and I don't have inclination to do it! So I guess there maybe a Xantia going to Xantia heaven soon.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The best bodge job I can think of is buy new bolts where you can get the old ones out, and fit the new ones in with Loctite thread lock and do them up FT. If you take this approach, you stand a cat in hells chance of getting them out again should you need to get at the timing belt.
If you are really convinced you'll never want them out again, get someone to weld them in place.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I think you will have to go the Blueboy route and cross fingers.
I would get new bolts too unless all the stripping is in the engine tappings.
Finally consider going to a proper engineers supplier where you will find a range of "liquid fixes" that are better suited than lok-tite. There are some (like "bearing fit") which are designed to have greater gap filling powers.
I have used these with total success on a 1.9TD with a crank bolt that sheared, drilling out the old bolt exposed a tapping with almost 50% of the thread profile gone. Over 12,000 miles on it is still tight.
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This is almost certianly due to the studs being loosened when the cam belt has been changed, and not properly torqued down. I had the same happen on a BX 14 (Christmas Eve in Birmingham, when I was on my way to the Isle of Wight - just scraped onto the last boat!).
There is no way you will be able to 'bodge' this - the forces are just too high. Do you mean the studs that are vertically upwards, or the ones that are horizontal?
If the vertical ones, then at least 2 (and I think all 3) are on a mount that can be unbolted from the block once you have stripped the timing belt off. The third (if not on the mount) should be able to be drilled and re-tapped in place. If you mean the horizontal ones then there is no way anything is going to be done about them with the engine in place.