ZX rear subframe replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX rear subframe replacement

Post by Dave1 »

Following on from previous post about a creeking rear end, I am about to get a replacement subframe. However it is from a car with drums and I have discs. I am advised it is relatively easy to change the stubs over but will I need to replace the wheel bearings. According to Haynes, the bearings are no good if taken off. Don't really mind getting new ones but can I be sure the chanageover is possible. A quick response from someone with experience of the issue would be appreciated as the subframe will be sent soon
Thanks
Dave
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I did the same thing with a 205 which has virtually the same rear suspension.
The bearings will only be damaged if you try to remove them from the hub, the hub and bearings should simply slide off the stub axle after removal of the staked nut, transfer the stub to the new arm and refit as removed.
You will note the stub has a hex socket in the rear but this can be a red herring to anyone taking the shaft out, it is not screwed in so just fit an old nut to protect the shaft and give it good wallop, it should come out with no fuss.
If you currently have ABS you may not have anywhere for the sensor to go in the fresh axle.
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Thanks Dave,
I kind of hoped you would see the post. The new recon frame should arrive tomorrow. I have another small issue. There is a whine on the left nearside wheel which appears at about 30 mph but disappears when a going little faster. I suppose this will be a wheel bearing anway. Nothing obvious in the way of play when jacked up. It could be tire noise if the camber is thrown out with dodgy frame but funnily enough, the nearside is not as bad as the other (which creeked). Think I may get a new hub anyway, perhpaps both sides. Hey, it will be like a new car after this little lot!
Thank you again
Dave.[:)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Its not the typical symptom of a wheel bearing in trouble, the sound is usualy there at all speeds and rarely comes and goes except when changing direction, I've never personaly known them to act in such a way.
Dave