Anti Pollution Alert on C5 petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garryd
My Cars: Past ownership:
4 XMs,
3 C5s (presently running 2008 Exclusive HD138 6 speed auto)
2 Xantias both auto petrol
2010 C3 Exclusive manual petrol, (now in daughter's possession)
2008 C2 Cool manual petrol (now in grandson's possession)

Anti Pollution Alert on C5 petrol

Post by garryd »

C5 ‘53 plate, 2.0 L petrol, Auto Estate

Not so much a new topic as a continuation of one I started last December. Then I had a starting problem where (occasionally) the engine would run rough, misfiring and not pulling; this would throw up messages all over the dash – ECM fault, Service fault, Anti pollution Alert, Cat Conv Fault. I eventually found a way of overcoming this by switching on ign for 20-30 secs before turning the engine over. This worked every time, so I lived with it temporarily, but I do like to have everything working as it should, and eventually I called the Citroen garage who do all my servicing.

They fixed it by installing 4 point plugs, new coil pack and updating engine management software.

All went well for a couple of months then one day returning from a shopping trip, downhill on overrun the Anti pollution Alert came up again.
Now this one has them stumped. They cleared the fault list and Lexia reported a faulty upstream Oxygen Sensor which they replaced and the engine started OK, ran on a road-test, but then threw up the alert every time the engine is started but with no suggestions from Lexia as to what the trouble is.

They’ve had the car for over a week now and still can’t find the cause.

The MOT was due last Friday, but of course if won’t pass until this is fixed!

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted (and prayers!) [-o<

Garryd
nod
My Cars:

Re: Anti Pollution Alert on C5 petrol

Post by nod »

Hi, I have had the same problem. The Citroen garage said it was the air pump, so this was replaced at a cost of around £300 and about 2 weeks later the warning re appeard, so they had the car in and re tested and said it was still the air pump, after a discussion we agreed the car had to come back for more tests because we didn't have time to leave the car that day, my wife filled the car up with Shell premium petrol and the warning went off within 10 klm,? still waiting to go back to the garage and the warning has come back after nearly 1000 klm?? don't know what to think but the car is going in again next week' see what they come up with this time.
garryd
My Cars: Past ownership:
4 XMs,
3 C5s (presently running 2008 Exclusive HD138 6 speed auto)
2 Xantias both auto petrol
2010 C3 Exclusive manual petrol, (now in daughter's possession)
2008 C2 Cool manual petrol (now in grandson's possession)

Re: Anti Pollution Alert on C5 petrol

Post by garryd »

Thanks Nod for this hint.

Funny thing but I thought this myself. The garage has looked at lots of things (suggested by experts more than me!) but nobody came up with this one. I've still got a fairly full tank, (of some unnamed and unmentionable) brand. So when I fill up again I'll watch out.

Regards

garryd