heavy clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timmsd

heavy clutch

Post by timmsd »

A friend of mine asked for my advice on a problem he has with his Xantia '93 TD and I thought I'd see if any of you have any thoughts on this matter.
The basic problem is a very heavy clutch. A new clutch was fitted by a local garage some 5000 miles ago and it has got progressively worse in the last 1000 miles. To start with the plastic clip kept breaking and now it won't hold the pressure at all.
The clutch pedal has been off and is not worn. The pedal is as free as a bird when disconnected from the clutch lever on the box.
The problem is as follows. The garage tells him it is the pedal box that is twisting and needs replacing. I find this highly unlikely, although if the problem is at the clutch end the extra pressure may seem to cause problems in the pedal box. However I still doubt that this is the cause.
So working down from the pedal... the cable is free. It could be the bushes on the lever on the box but I've not seen this before. Can this be cecked without removing the box.?
Then there is the clutch, Fitted new Valeo 5k ago and so the garage insists it isn't this. But I've seen thrust bearings fail and go off centre causing resistance with the input shaft they run on and my money is firmly on this.
Problem is... if it is a clutch failure the garage should make ammends but he wants to remove the pedal box... this involves removing the dash!
So the likely culprit is one of the follwoing and my vote is for the first, any suggestions would be most welcome:
the clutch bearing faulty or a broken pressure plate spring.
the bushes on the lever shaft worn
the cable (but it runs freely)
the bushes on the pedal (checked, not worn)
the pedal box (can't see what could be wrong here)
ps you can operate the clutch lever using a bar as a lever but it is difficult to tell if it is unusually heavy.
Dave
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Ask youself this, why would the plastic clip break if the pedal box was twisting? Surely that would just make the pedal difficult to push down and would not place an undue load on the clip.
The plastic clip can break for two or three reasons, the first and most likely is that there is too much load on it i.e. clutch too stiff or new clutch cable required. Reason 2 would be that the clip is incorrectly installed or the pedal is bent (would require a big bend) which would result in the load being applied to the clip in the wrong direction, hence breaking it (unlikely and very obvious). Reason 3 would be that the pedal box was bending as suggested by your mechanic but it would have to bend a HUGE amount to get the clip so much out of alignment that the load was in a direction such that it would break.
Personally I would dismiss my own second and third theories, it is either your clutch or your clutch cable that is too stiff and breaking the clip.
timmsd

Post by timmsd »

Kalowski
I agree with you entirely.
The problem is the mechanic who fitted the clutch insists it is at the pedal end.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Go back to the mechanic and let him change the pedal box with the proviso that if it isn't lighter (as light as a new clutch should be) then you'll not pay him a penny - not even parts. See if he'll stand by his guess if it's his time and money he's spending.
If it fixes it, pay up and thank him for his correct diagnosis, if not then he'll have to take the clutch out and fix it at no cost to your friend. If it's a genuine part then it'll have a guarantee that he can claim against.
It would be cynical to suggest that he only fitted a new friction disk and charged for a full clutch last time wouldn't it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
Do NOT be tempted to use another garage to solve THIS problem - as you then loose ANY kind of warranty claims against the first.
But it's allright to have the problem DIAGNOSED by a second party garage - which gives you a second opinion and arguments.
Your description is a bit "smelly" - as any mechanic allways tends to save his behind in solving warranty work.
I'd go with Arry's suggestion - to test out the mechanic.
Then take it from there.
timmsd

Post by timmsd »

Wise words and I agree.
He can't use a second garage as this will void any comeback he has. For example I said I would take the gearbox off and have a look but then if the clutch has failed he would have to pay for a new one when it is the garage's fault and should be a warrenty job.
I will suggest he let's the mechanic change the pedal box but only pay if it cures the problem. I think the mechanic is bluffing and doesn't want to admit he might have to take the clutch out again or yes, just maybe, he didn't change the pressure plate!
Dave