Lubricate squeaking heater fan?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Do you know, Is it possible, somehow to lubricate the heater fan motor? I sprayed some wd40 on fan cage shaft, but doesn't help. Can't see a way to dismantle the motor.

John.

Sent from a mobile transmitter.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Lubricate squeaking heater fan?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

WD40 isn't (technically) a lubricant. If you could get some sewing machine oil in there it would be better.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

True Hell Razor... Hoped its it'd show a quick temporary difference, and permit more oil to penetrate, as a follow up.
But in doubtful it'll work at all, the thing needs dismantling to get close to the bearings, looks like, but it's all plastic sealed.

John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Fixed! I dismantled fan rotor from heater blower and was able to lubricator bottom bush. Now running quietly.
Cheers.

John Plum
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well done for fixing it.
When bushes were being changed on starters, dynamos and alternators, and presumably on other rotating electrics too, you were supposed to leave the new ones soaking in oil overnight. Back in the day, I always did, but nowadays I contract out all such work. Given the turnaround times, I'm certain modern reconditioners don't do this, so maybe it's no longer necessary.
However, if only doing one and given how long you typically spend figuring out how to open the motor and get it back together, I'd still advise doing it.
I suspect just squirting a little lube on the bush from the outside will only be a temporary relief, though you may become sufficiently adept at it that you can nurse it along that way.
I did a bodge, on one of my own cars, many many years ago. It was an elderly BMW. The heater fan motor had completely eaten the bushes, which would have been self aligning types and the armature was wobbling about a LOT! There were no S/H ones to be had and no possibility of a proper repair. I didn't even ask the cost of a new one, as I was saving for the down-payment on our house at the time and it would definitely have been out of reach! My engagement would probably have been called off, if I'd spent any serious money on the car!
My "outside the box" solution was to stick a couple of ball type bearings, with the correct I/D for the shaft, on to the outside of the ruined end plates, using body filler. I don't know what the bearings were for. I found them in my Dad's oddment drawer! The blower motor soldiered on for as long as we kept the car, attending the PC Pageant of Motoring in Bromley a few times along the way. I never heard whether the new owner had any trouble with it, but I have no reason to think he might, given how long it served me.
I'm not suggesting anybody should try this, mind, especially not using body filler as an adhesive, but it got me out of a hole at the time and I was too inexperienced to know any different!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Thanks Sparksie! You're right about the lubrication - I just couldn't bear the squeal. It may even bed in Ok for a good while, but I don't expect a long term fix.

Your BMW fix was the right one under the circumstances and kinda ingenious. Whenever I've taken such a route I imagine I'm in a desert war zone, and only results count. :-)

John Plum