2002 C5 2.0 Hdi diesel not starting - need help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adrian95
New User
My Cars:

2002 C5 2.0 Hdi diesel not starting - need help!

Post by Adrian95 »

Hey lads ive bought a 2002 c5 2.0 HDi of the local auctions and everything is fine apart from
It starting, i have been in and out of coversations with citroen and browsed the internet for a week and to no avail, it cranks quickly but it still wont start. To my assumptions the car stood for a while with a discharged battery.

Things i have done so far:
Fuel pump does prime on ignition
There is fuel after the filter
There is No smoke coming out the exhaust so no diesel in the chambers?
Checked ALL the fuses with a test light, engine bay and glovebox. All are fine
Changed battery to brand new one.
Remote locking works, lock light stops flashing red after car is unlocked.
Linked battery connectors together in hope to reset the computer
All fluid levels are good

The lights in the dash that stay on after ignition are check engine, stop, and service and when trying to crank only service stays on, also i bought the car with the Electro Waste Gate Valve missing in the engine bay, blue 2 pin ug and 2 1/4 hoses plug in to it and its to the RHS of the brake fluid reservoir. (Bought a new one waiting for delivery, could this be the problem even though citroen do not relate it to the car not starting!)

If someone can shed some light or tie up some loose ends for me that would be much appreciated because this thing has been a nightmare for me from day one!

Adrian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2002 C5 2.0 Hdi diesel not starting - need help!

Post by RichardW »

Hi Adrian - welcome!

It has been a common theme of late, and most routes seem to lead to the fuel pressure regulator on the pump - however, you need to get it on a Lexia really to see what the fuel pressures etc are doing, and if there is cam synch etc. Where are you?
Richard W
Adrian95
New User
My Cars:

Post by Adrian95 »

Hey richard thanks for your response, im in perth, australia. I have read about the CAS being faulty can cause issues starting is there a particular resistence i can check for to see if i can rule out the sensor? Practically trying to do everything i can to get it started until i end wasting my money towing it to citroen only for them to tell me spend more money to MAYBE fix the initial fault!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah...was going to say, someone might be near enough with a Lexia and be able to have a look, but I don't know of anyone in Perth :rofl2: You are going to have to get a Lexia somehow to sort this out - there is no hope without (and even then it might be tough....). They're available relatively cheaply from UK sellers, but postage to Aus might bump it up a bit :-D Only other things I can think of are changing the fuel filter, removing and cleaning the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the pump, and checking the leak off from the injectors whilst cranking - if one is really bad you might pick it up on this test.
Richard W
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Post by Richard Stevens »

Just a thought - mainly to eliminate it as a source of your troubles - have you put in the key, turned on the ignition, and waited a minute or two before trying to start it?
I had a similar problem until I read the instructions in the Haynes manual for battery change.
I doubt it's your problem but I thought I ought to make sure. It lets the engine management system interrogate and reset everything.
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
Alamow

Post by Alamow »

Did you find the cause of the non starting?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have no fuel coming from the filter I would suspect the lift pump in the tank.

Peter