proud owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jakeuk
My Cars:

proud owner

Post by jakeuk »

Hi guys
this is my first time here so be gentle eh
ive just become the proud owner of a 1996 xantia 1.9 td sx
alas it has a few problems an i hav'nt got a workshop manual yet
so a couple of questions if its ok,,,,,,1st the speedo isnt working and i aint got a clue where it connects at either end,,,also dont know if its been disconnected for obvious reasons or what. also would like to know if its electric in anyway cos someone has made a bridge in the fusebox
cheers guys
jake
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Speedo on a 96 will be electric - runs off a sensor on the gearbox IIRC.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

cheers blueboy ,,,,,u reckon it might v been bypassed to keep the milage low then?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Don't think so Jake - as this is also fairly easy to do on a mechanical cable speedo - and you'd be suspecious anyway.
The sensor is located where you'd expect to find the cable on the diff unit - right over the output housing for left drive axle.
My bet you have a perfectly common electrical cable/connector problem - either sheared cable or corrosion/dirt.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

Thanks anders:will it be easy to fix,,,will i need to get in to the instrument panel,, i hate having to strip dash boards n things of that nature
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No - I guess it's "only" a matter of messing around in that greasy/dirty mess around the diff.
Simple but dirty job.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

thats good then the car is immaculate inside and out,the guys i bought it from were cleaning cars with an industrial spec pressure washer which with hindsight was probably the cause of my problem in the first place