C5 X7 replacing door handles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

C5 X7 replacing door handles

Post by vborovic »

Plain and simple, going from no-chrome to chrome door handles, here's the steps how:

1. Current situation

2. Open the door, remove the rubber cap covering the torx screw (T20)

3. Previous handle vs. upgrade handle

4. Unscrew the screw, until you can pull out the fixed door handle part (you don't have to pull the screw out, or, to be more precise, you shouldn't, just loosen it as much as necessary)

5. Pull the door handle towards the rear of the car, and then "open" it fully, until you can unhook it off from the door

6. Reverse the procedure & enjoy

*. the driver's door is slightly different, after unscrewing the torx, pull out the cylinder (plastic cap this time, no smaller door segment), to the point where you can remove & replace the door handle, and just take off the cap (it is easiest to do from the sides, no tools required), replace it with the other one, put the cylinder back in, and reverse the procedure.

Passenger side after completion

Time required for each door handle, 2-3 minutes with no hurries. I didn't have to replace the rubber seal which comes between the door handle and the door, since the current ones were OK. Also, the Service Documentation suggests to replace the door rubber caps with new ones, but I think the current ones will still do their job properly, they didn't get damaged in the procedure. I've managed to get a hold of a complete set, my exact car color, very well preserved, for a fraction of the price of the new ones, so it was hard to pass by ... :D
Last edited by vborovic on 16 Mar 2014, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 X7 replacing door handles

Post by myglaren »

Nice "How To" vborovic
southern driver
My Cars:

Post by southern driver »

does anyone know about the interior handle??? so far I am using the exterior, but, in fact it is broken and i must replace it, but under my experience or i don't have the right tools or I am not patience enough I always (-expletive removed-) up, so some advise step by step would be awesome :-D
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

If it is still needed, I can share the documentation regarding complete dismantling of the front doors
ShaunDC5
My Cars: Citroën c5 Diesel

Post by ShaunDC5 »

I replaced the outer door handle on my c5 but now I am getting watter running down between the door card.