HELP XANTIA 110 HDI WONTE START

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

HELP XANTIA 110 HDI WONTE START

Post by jacksun1987 »

We was changing the accumintor sphere We had the car up on ramps We took the wrong sphere off. It was the one at the middle on the front. we took off. Probably the regulator one. We put the old one back on. Started the car. No problem.
Then we noticed another sphere. at the bottom on the passenger side. Tried to get to get it off. Couldn't do it. We took the regulator sphere off. With a par of stillsons. On the nipple of the sphere. Seemed to do the trick.
Then we tried to do the same trick again. But i think the nipple turned. Couldn't do it.
So we said sod it. Started the car then nothing. Theres power to the battery. Thought the fuel had gone back to the tank. Kept starting it. cos its self priming nothing.
And yes there was enough fuel in the car.
The needle was low but the light hadn't came on. I drove about 20 miles with the light on before.
So we tok the cover off the fuel filter and theres fuel in it. Then we broke the fuel return pipe. Because it wouldn't come off.
Seems strange one minute starting then the other minute wronte
After all the stuff we've done to it. And the last job we had todo was change the accuminator sphere.
:( :( :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: HELP XANTIA 110 HDI WONTE START

Post by Peter.N. »

The most likely cause is that you have disturbed something doing the job, check carefully all the wiring and connectors in the vicinity of the work. Is the in tank fuel pump running?

Peter
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

when we started it up it had that ran out of fuel sound.
we took the cover off. But for some reason one of the pipes was hard on. And when forcing it off. It snapped the plastic bit. What the pipe went on. So now i have to find a cover. From some where. So we can put the pipe back on. Im sure its a return pipe
Its a bosch pump. 110 hdi on a t plate with 230k miles on it.
Just weird how beforre we started work on the accuminator sphere. The one on the drivers side. Underneath the car. It was working.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

My bro was reading the book. The only thing that sounds right could it be the INERTIA SWITCH It says it operates if the car receives a big enough jolt. And its at the bottom left of the car. Where we was working.

It says on diesel models the switch cuts supply to the pump relay
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

the only other thing it suggested in the book is the alarm anti theft system. But the key i fcuk up anyway. Cos i can take it out while driving.
When we was trying to get the accuminator sphere off. Could that have something todo with the electrical hydrolic system.
WHAT PUG AND CITROENS HAVE THE SAME BOSCH FUEL PUMP IN THEM. Has the plastic connector bit broken where the pipe fits. Need new cover. So we can fix the pipe back on.
Does the old xud modles have the same. Or did they update it abit. For the hdi models
thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The engine and filter is used in many Cits and Pugs (only on HDi though), but it's difficult to say exactly which as both Bosch and Siemens injections were used interchangeably, and they have different filters. All Xantia HDis, however, are Bosch, and therefore have the same filter. Trip down your local scrappy, and look under the bonnets of all Pug/Cit diesels should turn one up. The System is self bleeding - providing the electric pump is still working. Once you have fitted the new filter lid, turn on the ignition, and listen for the pump running. If there is some doubt as to the fuel level, I would stick 5l in to be sure - nothing more embarassing than spending ages trying to get it start, only to find it's out of fuel.... :-D Press the inertia switch - at the back of the engine bay. If the pump is OK, you have added fuel, and it still won't start, then you need to get it on a Lexia and see what is going on. If the immobiliser is not picking the key up, then it beeps when you are cranking it, and the yellow key symbol on the dash stays on and flashes.
Richard W
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

RichardW wrote:The engine and filter is used in many Cits and Pugs (only on HDi though), but it's difficult to say exactly which as both Bosch and Siemens injections were used interchangeably, and they have different filters. All Xantia HDis, however, are Bosch, and therefore have the same filter. Trip down your local scrappy, and look under the bonnets of all Pug/Cit diesels should turn one up. The System is self bleeding - providing the electric pump is still working. Once you have fitted the new filter lid, turn on the ignition, and listen for the pump running. If there is some doubt as to the fuel level, I would stick 5l in to be sure - nothing more embarassing than spending ages trying to get it start, only to find it's out of fuel.... :-D Press the inertia switch - at the back of the engine bay. If the pump is OK, you have added fuel, and it still won't start, then you need to get it on a Lexia and see what is going on. If the immobiliser is not picking the key up, then it beeps when you are cranking it, and the yellow key symbol on the dash stays on and flashes.
Also, make sure the key lights up and then goes off, if the fuse has blown (as happened to me once) you'll get NO warning, just the engine won't start, it will crank though.

I can't imagine how you could have but the crank sensor is down that neck of the woods, you could have unplugged/knocked it.

There is nothing you could have done to the hydraulics that would stop the engine starting. Are you certain all of the lights on the dash are coming on as they should (i.e. ecu)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Sorted phoned aa up it was the low presser pump in the back under the seats I have to bang it a couple of Times to get it going just seems strange how it started packing up when we was working on the car went to the scrap yard to get a cover for the fuel filter it must be a common problem found no end of theses with the cover missing found one and it snapped luckily there was another
If any ones got a low presser pump the one that's under the seats going would much appreciate it unless just go to scrap yard get one lol
Thanks
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Look at RichardW's thread about his Xantia for scrapping. His will have the same pump as yours.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

I wonte need a low presser fuel pump it packed up on the mot retest at Bullwinkles going be 225 pound
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

all sorted now cost abit though the only good thing got no adviseryes apart from the chip in windscreen.
With the new accuminater sphere the breaks seems sharper. The steering seems bit firmer. But the fuel needle is sticking abit. Gone t its level now. Parked the car on a tiny slope i mean tiny. Then it dropped right down. was ok before
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

the needles all over the place