Xsara Picasso drivers window problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Xsara Picasso drivers window problem

Post by sparksie »

Hi all.

As I mentioned in one of my threads about my Xantia, one of my relatives has decided that my newfound expertise in Citroens can't be left untapped.
During a visit yesterday, I was reminded of my tentative promise to "have a look at it".
As it was a social visit, I was neither dressed nor equipped for digging too deeply, but I agreed to have a little play.
The immediate problems are all associated with the driver's door.
The check strap has seized and pushed the retaining nuts through, inside the door.
Soon after this happened, probably next time it was used, the window became detached from the regulator. It "made a noise" and wouldn't wind down the next time it was asked.
With the door open, to keep the ruined check strap out of the way, I established that the mechanism goes up and down ok and will close the window if I lower it by hand.
I wasn't able to remove the door trim yesterday, so I don't know what's happened, but I have heard of the seized check strap on these, so I assume this is not an unusual occurrence.
Is it likely that the glass has just been pulled out of a clamp and can be stuck back in, or has something probably broken?
Anybody had this and fixed it?
The car seems utterly conventional, other than the chevrons on the bonnet and tailgate, so I might even be in my comfort zone with it. That said, the door is probably lined with mouse traps and razor blades, to catch the unwary... :shock:
Thanks for any help, as usual
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Picasso drivers window problem

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

about half hours work, if that.
Door trim screwed in handle, just undo screws dont try get the handle off the door trim, it's plastic welded on. More screws behind speaker cover, four holding the speaker in (undo) take speaker off. There are another 2 screws holding the trim to the door. From there, work your around (releasing the clips) levering the door trim from the bottom to the top on each side. When they're all popped. the top will lift out out the channel in the door seal.

You now have access to the door that will be covered by polystyrene membrane, using a sharp knife-scapel, keeping the membrane in one piece, the glue can be cut away to gain access to the mechs behind. If you want the door glass out, using the window switch, lower the window down far enough to gain access to the retaining clips. it will be obvious how these work when you see them. With the glass free from the clips, (secure the glass) using the switch again lower the regulator to the deck, The glass should be lowered out of the channels. I took the channel out of the door and the glass came straight out. the regulator is bolted in again all obvious as you proceed. And yes there are some sharp bits in there be careful.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Ok. Thanks for that.
From speaking to the owner and reading between the lines, I suspect the window fouled the check strap and self destructed in some way.
I don't think there's any torque limiter on the downward journey, to protect it, so the full power will have been applied until something gave.
If I'm right, she's lucky the glass didn't shatter.
The car lives a couple of hours away and has been declared off road, so can't easily be brought to the workshop.
I've promised to bring tools, next time we visit.
My hope would be that I can fit the new check strap and reattach the glass in the one visit.
Is it likely the clips will have survived the event, or should I be trying to get some before I travel again?
I'm familiar with the job on a variety of non-French cars, but this is my second modern Citroen (the first being my own Xantia) and my expectations have been heavily influenced by classic Citroens from many years ago. (I don't count the Berlingo as a Citroen! That's a badge engineered Pug!)
If I do need to replace the clips, are they available without having to buy the whole regulator?
Thanks again
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

sparksie wrote: (I don't count the Berlingo as a Citroen! That's a badge engineered Pug!)
Berlingo based on ZX/306 floorpan. ZX came out 2 years before 306, hence the Pug Partner is a badge engineered Berlingo...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Wow!
I didn't know that.
I've been happily working on Partner/Berlingo for years and considering them merely a 206 on steroids.
Goes to show, I suppose, PSA ownership is having an effect. Finally some consideration being given to running repairs, something Peugeot suddenly got good at with the advent of the 205. I was saddened to see the 405, which was easy to work on, but built down to a price and therefore needed rather a lot of work, but they got it right with the 406 and initial impressions of the 407 suggest the ethos is continuing.
If they injected the same standard of design and build quality in recent/current Citroens, the marque may manage a Skoda-esque renaissance.
The Estelle had a ferocious appetite for human flesh, much like 2CV/Dyane and GS. I hated seeing them outside when I opened up in the mornings.
Octavia is a little pet to work on, apart from the stupid alloy sumps.
What's C5 like?
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

sparksie wrote:Wow!
I didn't know that.
I've been happily working on Partner/Berlingo for years and considering them merely a 206 on steroids.
Goes to show, I suppose, PSA ownership is having an effect. Finally some consideration being given to running repairs, something Peugeot suddenly got good at with the advent of the 205. I was saddened to see the 405, which was easy to work on, but built down to a price and therefore needed rather a lot of work, but they got it right with the 406 and initial impressions of the 407 suggest the ethos is continuing.
If they injected the same standard of design and build quality in recent/current Citroëns, the marque may manage a Skoda-esque renaissance.
The Estelle had a ferocious appetite for human flesh, much like 2CV/Dyane and GS. I hated seeing them outside when I opened up in the mornings.
Octavia is a little pet to work on, apart from the stupid alloy sumps.
What's C5 like?
The odd thing here is that the few Peugeots I've had, and worked on, have been horrible. 306, 205 and another 306. All so horrid and unreliable I try and avoid them at all costs. A friend has one that I end up servicing quite often, but I keep my contact with them minimal.

My first car was an Estelle. I did the head gasket on it. I also changed the gear selection rod that went up that tube in the floor. Dealer wanted a fortune to change that. Took me and my dad 10 mins with a bit of string! My favourite was changing the starter motor. Rear seat forward, disconnect battery, access hatch open, 3 bolts, swap starter, assembly is the reverse of removal, a 5 min job.

I always found 2CVs were dead easy to work on as long as you removed the wings. It wasn't so much the lack of access that bothered me, but the sharp edges they left on everything for you to catch hands on.

Working on a C5? Hateful IMO
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Northern_Mike wrote:I always found 2CVs were dead easy to work on as long as you removed the wings. It wasn't so much the lack of access that bothered me, but the sharp edges they left on everything for you to catch hands on.

Working on a C5? Hateful IMO
Yes, they seemed very fond of making things out of old razor blades, but the little Skodas seem to have their fair share of hidden sharp bits too.
The Pugs are a bit "softer" than their contemporaries, but their afficionados know this and choose to put up with it.
We tend to see them between services for silly little jobs, but the access is usually good and the recycled razor blades are not in evidence, so we just get on with it and the owners tend to replace them with more Pugs, when the need arises.
Most of the ones we see are Diesels, which don't have a problem breaking the 300K barrier. There's a 205 van that will pass 500K this year, still on the original engine and 'box, though that's about all that's still original :lol:
The 1.1 and 1.4 petrols are less long legged, but then they're not supposed to be long distance cruisers anyway. They lose compression and kill their cats when the mileage racks up, but they're very popular with young drivers, due to ready supply, cheap parts, easy modding and relatively long production runs, so even comparatively old ones still have a bit of "cred" as they look the same as newer ones.
There are plenty of them around here, in the hands of people who can't afford to pay garage fees, but can manage basic servicing in their parents front driveways and they do ok.
Practically no Citroens of any kind, apart from the ex post office Berlingos (and Partners of course!), so I can't judge them properly.
I do occasionally see a pale blue metallic C5 that seems to have a good stance on the road and I do like the look of it, but I've never been close enough to touch it, much less look under the bonnet.
Gone WAAAAY off topic now, so back to the Picasso. #-o
Anybody know what's likely to be broken in my in-law's door???
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD