Xantia Slip ring again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Xantia Slip ring again

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well, thanks to Mr HellRazor, we now have some success and a lack of airbag light. This part here was replaced with a secondhand unit. Is this what is referred to as the "slip ring"?

Image[/URL]

Or, is this part what is referred to as the "slip ring"?

The airbag light went out straight away, and after a decent test drive with plenty of turning and twisting the wheel, did not come on again, so we can presume that issue is fixed.

The horn however has stayed dead. Obviously this needs sorting for the MOT. I have located the horn and cleaned the contacts, again with HR's help. Checked the fuse and it's ok. Have not yet seen if there is power to the horn as my multimeter is faulty. The fact my multimeter is faulty is probably why I couldn't work out what the blistering f*** was wrong with my 3-Wheeler's electrics.

If I need the second part, does anyone have one like that (It says Valeo 6162 on it) that works, and also the electrics from inside the steering wheel as the tracks on the circuit "board" seem damaged and we think that may be causing the issue.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the horn problem? I'll be removing it and testing it direct from the battery first thing in the morn to check it's actually working, then HR is going to pop over with a working multimeter. I have a feeling that it's the wheel internals, or that other part (Valeo 6162) that we did not change that is at fault.

Not sure what James thought of his first drive in an auto, and first go in a V6. It took some convincing but you only live once! He seemed to pick it up sharpish..
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia Slip ring again

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Multi-meter found, tested, and working, ready for tomorrow. I have also worked out a way to make sure the steering wheel is centralised. Don't bin the cables for your multi-meter.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Northern Mike,

Have a spare one in the garage but minus the black connector which I had to remove to fit my Xantia.

It is an easy job to change over and re-solder, this what I had to do. There are so many variations with the connectors which I found to my cost.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mike

The second part is the slip ring. Where did the first bit fit in? Looks a bit like the transponder aerial to me....?? Ah, or was it under the slip ring, in which case it mght be the steering angle sensor for the hydractive?

You could test the horn by shorting out the relevant contacts either side of the slip ring to see if it will come on. I'll have a look at the wiring diag later to see how it's supposed to work (if the BOL goes into that much detail).
Richard W
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Mike,

FYI, If you turn over the rotating switch, you will see 2 numbers e.g. 61620011/9635682680 or 61620004E/967442580.

These are the more relevant numbers. I'll try and find my thread re the switch.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=40311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:Mike

The second part is the slip ring. Where did the first bit fit in? Looks a bit like the transponder aerial to me....?? Ah, or was it under the slip ring, in which case it mght be the steering angle sensor for the hydractive?
Yes, that's what it is Richard, helpfully advertised as a Xantia Slip ring on eBay, and as I'd never seen one.... anyway, I replaced it anyway, and whatever we did solved the airbag issue..

Horn fiddling will continue tomorrow.
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Post by xf1ref »

I looked a little on electric diagrams and I found that xantia mk2 have a relay and mk1 not.
If you have mk2 check the horns relay.
mk1 horns diagram:

mk2 horns diagram with 2505 relay:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing we noticed was that one of the tracks on the ribbon cable to the horn connector looked a bit suspect. I am going back tomorrow with a working multi-meter to try and test the cabling etc.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

'Sounds' :) like the air bag problem might just have been a poor connection on the slip ring. Might try that on my sister's to see if that helps the air bag light.... Looking at the diag above should be possible to short out the pins in the connector and see if that will make the horn work.
Richard W
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First item shown is the Hydractive steering angle sensor.

Chances are, horns are duff. I recommend the Stebel Nautilus as replacement. V6 Xantia has high/low horns on a shared bracket.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My car only has one horn Addo! Down in front of the wheel. Handily, the Berlingo horn is high up and easily accessible, and mine has been replaced by a standard horn, so it'll be easy to use it as a test device tomorrow.

The seller of the "slip ring" which was the steering sensor has offered to sell me the slip ring for £20 inc p&p because of his cock up, so that's not too bad a price I suppose. I'll test the horn in the morning first though..
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'd also add my horn gets used approximately once a year, at MOT time....
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I thought your Mrs was "needier" than that! :o
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I thought your Mrs was "needier" than that! :o
We're getting on a bit now!
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:First item shown is the Hydractive steering angle sensor.

Chances are, horns are duff.
10 points to Addo. The horn, indeed, was duff. The originals had clearly been replaced by a single one in the past, as the wiring was still there for the second horn - and it was live. Problem solved by replacing horn with cheapest new option possible, which involved cutting the plug off the wiring and using a couple of spade connectors, but the difference between £40 inc vat, and £16 inc vat and a couple of spade connectors is not to be sniffed at.

Matters complicated by the first new horn being faulty, which lead to some head-scratching and testing again and again. Appears the diaphragm was seized as it would work if you belted it while holding the push down, but was inactive otherwise. Anyway, Woodley auto-factors swapped it for another without replacement, which works as it should.

So, no airbag lights and a working horn. MOT at 11:45am tomorrow.

Thanks to James HellRazor for his help and working multimeter, without which I'd have been stumped, especially by the faulty new horn.

Oh, the ribbon cable thing in the steering wheel fell apart, so the right hand buttons for the stereo on the wheel no longer work, which is an annoyance. PAUL?! Have you a wheel...