LED Tail Light Upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nnvi86

LED Tail Light Upgrade

Post by nnvi86 »

Car: C5 Estate 2.2 HDI SX

Bulb Fitment: BAY15D, 380, 1157, P21/5w

LED Fitment: BAY15D, 380, 1157, P21/5w, RED

This upgrade has messed a few things up. 1st, the led's seem to always stay on.. 2nd, for some reason the 3rd break light stays on to, 3rd, dash lights go crazy, break fail, STOP and hand break symbol.

With the 3rd break being on, am guessing it might be the left side tail has the same fuse?

This image is when the car is locked, lights off.

This image is how good these are

the LED's are from redline and cost £14+ for 2...

Can anyone help or have any idea why this is happening?
Last edited by myglaren on 04 Mar 2014, 17:29, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Gigantic images replaced with thumbnails Threads merged.
nnvi86

LED Tail Light Upgrade

Post by nnvi86 »

Image as links, as to big for page. :-D

Car: C5 Estate 2.2 HDI SX

Bulb Fitment: BAY15D, 380, 1157, P21/5w

LED Fitment: BAY15D, 380, 1157, P21/5w, RED

This upgrade has messed a few things up. 1st, the led's seem to always stay on.. 2nd, for some reason the 3rd break light stays on to, 3rd, dash lights go crazy, break fail, STOP and hand break symbol.

With the 3rd break being on, am guessing it might be the left side tail has the same fuse?

This image is when the car is locked, lights off.

http://lfamedia.com/car-locked-light-off.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This image is how good these are

http://lfamedia.com/lights-on-break-on.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the LED's are from redline and cost £14+ for 2...

Can anyone help or have any idea why this is happening?
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Re: LED Tail Light Upgrade

Post by oscar »

Hi not sure but do you need canbuss type on them as many now ie BMW's for instance as a ballast or see's a fault.
I know on mate's Artic think merc actros if picked up trailer with led's unit went ape poo as now there like star ship enterprise with all the bells n whistles.

Have a trundle round net as there's a website that lists leds in uk and lists for car's and types as canbus type. Ho the joy's of modern motoring!
Have leds all round on my Zanty far better idea
Even found some H1 leds now.
there are a few good sellers on flea bay i use.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I was thinking of changing the rears to led, think I will not bother now. :(
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

oscar wrote:Hi not sure but do you need canbuss type on them as many now ie BMW's for instance as a ballast or see's a fault.
I know on mate's Artic think merc actros if picked up trailer with led's unit went ape poo as now there like star ship enterprise with all the bells n whistles.

Have a trundle round net as there's a website that lists leds in uk and lists for car's and types as canbus type. Ho the joy's of modern motoring!
Have leds all round on my Zanty far better idea
Even found some H1 leds now.
there are a few good sellers on flea bay i use.

oscar i'm not sure what your going on about mate...
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

I've had redline send some resistors out for free to see if that solves the problem!???
pete-c5
My Cars:

Post by pete-c5 »

Hi

I`m not to sure what you have done but the first pic i assume is the original led 3rd stop light, it looks like you have a resistor gone on the second set of 4 bulbs, there are 4 resistors each control 4 leds see this thread and see if it helps at all

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=47000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
l love Citroens
2001 C5 2.2hdi sx Estate
2008 C5 2lt hdi Tourer (estate)
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

I dont have any resistor as far as i know?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The electrical system expects to see a specific load for that circuit and the LEDs present a much reduced load.
it's a common problem. Dropping resistors would probably help. One of our electricians will have more specific advice when they see your post.
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

UPDATE: >
The LED's only trun off when the car Is locked after 3 minutes. I get the resistors tomorrow and should help with the error messages I get. I dont see why It still lights up the 3rd break light!???!???....

So yes the LED's are a great upgrade and give off a awesome true RED light. just need to solve the 3rd break light.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes Steve is right. With everything on modern cars now being computer controlled, the computer expects to see a certain load exerted on the system for a specific situation. i.e. Lights being switched on. If that task produces a different loading on the system the computer assumes there is a fault situation. So when you fit led lamps, the loading is a lot less than with normal lamps so the car thinks there is a fault like a blown bulb or something similar. To compensate, manufacturers produce led bulbs with built in resistors to fool the car into thinking it still has normal design spec bulbs fitted. So when you fitted non spec led bulbs the car threw a wobbly. :)
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I don't want to be a spoil sport, personally such lighting modifications are great (my car is the victim in my case ... :D ), but isn't there a regulation for the max light output from the rear lights? Like how you can't use road-legal 100W off-road H1, H7 bulbs for headlights, or blue halogen bulbs ... ? It is dependent on each country, but i think generally in EU such lighting modifications aren't considered road legal, no?
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

For a start why not put the old bulbs back in and see what happens?
long time ago i managed to put my brake/tail bulbs in wrong way round which like yours threw up lights galore and the LED brake light stayed on after locking car for approx 5 mins.
i've tried with 2 other cars to replace various lights with LED's and decided enough is enough, waste of money and time.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

Good comments guys.

I don't see why its a waste of money or time. The LED's will now out live the car... probably! Where I might have to replace a few normal bulbs.

The resistors will ( i hope ) solve the 3rd break light and the crazy dash messages.

Will let you all know!

I may now replace the rear Indicators and start on the front.
nnvi86

Post by nnvi86 »

This is the company i am using. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Redline-Auto-Extreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331111030407? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < Rear Indicator lights.

there tail red 380 led's lights are a bit expensive but you will see why when you get them in the post.