Urgent help needed berlingo mk1 van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Urgent help needed berlingo mk1 van

Post by Moonberlingo »

Hi am looking for help to sort out my 2000 w reg 1.9 non turbo diesel van. I bought it cheap has 188,000 miles on it and need to sort her oit or scrap her. It had quite a few problems... A big oil leak was not charging or starting properly and smokes badly when cold. Using my limited skills I have cured the oil leak. This was the sump pan gasket or lack of one! The starter motor was replaced with a new one and a refurb alternater fitted. This now leaves the rough running and smoking to sort. The van was bought off ebay and the listing stated it had been fuel contaminated but had been sorted

Here's what I have done on engine to try and sort it out. Oil change and filter, air filter and fuel filter. New glow plugs and leak off pipes. The van starts first time every time and ticks over nicely. However once throttle is given it starts missing and smoke comes out the exhaust.... Quite a bit of smoke. There is a grey / blue tinge to it. When the van has been warmed up and been on a drive it drives ok but there is a faint tinged exchaust plume. Any help or pointers would be great
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Urgent help needed berlingo mk1 van

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

maybe the EGR valve is bunged up with carbon and oily goooo

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

thank for your reply citronut.... i am in eastbourne on the south coast. Yes the egr... i have read about these and understand they can be a pain. I have thought this could be a problem as the air box manifold thing is very oily inside. I have had an initial look but am not sure what its meant to do stay open or shut? Also could the maf sensor thing have worn out ? Where is that anyway? See i am a complete novice but willing to learn and tinker as i love the vans potential. There is a big plastic tank under the air intake whats that for? Collecting water? You can see why i joined i am guessing too much and not knowing enough to sort this without you guys expert assistance.
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

Sorry should i say malcolm? On the positive side i am not bad with a miltimeter and have some tools.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you checked that all the glow plugs are working?
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

hi yes they are working as van starts first time. i removed the glow plug wires and did a resistance test on each plug while they were in the engine. My leads had a resistance of 0.6 ohms and each plug had a value of 1.2 ohms. so less the lead would be 0.6 ohms on all four. I put a meter in the cigar lighter while the orange light was on and voltage dropped from 12.4 to 10 volts so am presuming the relay is working fine. This is a case for poiroit and coloumbo. The staarting is not a problem its the rough running and smoke that soon comes out the back end. I just looked at my egr flap and it is down shut. when you try and give the engine a rev it farts and misses ... the worse it runs the more smoke it produces. hope this info might shed more light
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so you are only just along the A259 from i, as my workshop is in St Leonards on sea
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

citronut wrote:so you are only just along the A259 from i, as my workshop is in St Leonards on sea
That's true Malcolm have a sorn on her at the mo but will lift it soon
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Moonberlingo wrote:hi yes they are working as van starts first time. i removed the glow plug wires and did a resistance test on each plug while they were in the engine. My leads had a resistance of 0.6 ohms and each plug had a value of 1.2 ohms. so less the lead would be 0.6 ohms on all four. I put a meter in the cigar lighter while the orange light was on and voltage dropped from 12.4 to 10 volts so am presuming the relay is working fine. This is a case for poiroit and coloumbo. The staarting is not a problem its the rough running and smoke that soon comes out the back end. I just looked at my egr flap and it is down shut. when you try and give the engine a rev it farts and misses ... the worse it runs the more smoke it produces. hope this info might shed more light
You obviously know your electrics, I was a TV engineer for 50 years but don't meet many people that know what they are doing :-D If its starting on all four and then one is dropping out it sounds as though you have low compression on one cylinder, the most likely cause is that the valve clearances have closed up but unfortunately that is a camshaft out job. Probably the best thing to do is a compression test.

Peter
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

Hi welcome to my problem.... Thanks for reply I understand what your saying but it drives ok when it's warmed up and been driven half a mile
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes it would, once the engine is warm it doesn't matter the compression is below par it has no problem igniting the fuel then. If it drives OK I wouldn't worry about it. There is a lot of work involved just to make it tickover smoothly.

Peter
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

Thanks for your reply yes can handle the rough running but not the smoke. This is the main problem I might video it and put a link on here to you tube so members can view it. I don't really want to take head off as not that competent but if it was a relatively easy fix then I will try everything.
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

The other thing I thought might cause it is lack of fuel getting through?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If the rough running is accompanied by white/blue smoke that is because the exhaust contains unburnt or partially burnt fuel due to a missing cylinder. Is it using any water?

Peter
Moonberlingo
My Cars:

Post by Moonberlingo »

Hi not using any water no. Oil had no mayo in it before I did the oil change