Valeo alternator on Xantia ii

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Valeo alternator on Xantia ii

Post by atr »

Hi
I have a Valeo alternator that I've Disassembled from a Xantia Mk2. I can see no model name on it, only the manufacturer's name - Valeo. is there a way to determine the model? and more important for me - how to hook it up to charge a battery?
I have it installed on a plate with an electric motor that drives it ( in the correct direction. there are arrow markings on it showing the rotation direction) with a belt. on the alternator are two terminals +B which is to the battery "+" terminal and a "d" terminal which I don't know how to connect.
Thank you all for your help.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Valeo alternator on Xantia ii

Post by RichardW »

The 'd' terminal is the excitation terminal - you will need to put 12V on this initially to get the alt to charge (although there may be enough residual magnetism in the alt to make it work without). Pretty sure you can just connect both the terminals together - as long as there is a small amount of charge in the battery it should start charging. You will need a decent earth from the alt body to the battery as well of course. A £10 charger out of Aldi is alot easier....!!!
Richard W
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi
Yes, as already stated the "D" terminal is for excitation.
Usually this would be connected, via a 4W bulb, to the ignition switch.
In your situation, you could just join the two terminals, as you won't be leaving the alternator connected to a battery when not running.
If you want a visual indication that charging is happening, stick a 4W bulb between the terminals. It'll light up whenyou hook up the battery and go out when you spool it up.
Never leave the "D" terminal connected when not running, as it will run the battery flat while keeping the alternator warm.
As an aside, most alternators will work quite happily in either direction, provided the cooling fan is compatible with the desired rotation.
I assume this is a "fun" project, rather than something intended for serious use.
The aforementioned £10 charger from Aldi will be far more efficient, won't chop your fingers off and will do a better job, due to intelligent programming of its multi stage charging cycles. The alternator is a primitive device that tries to maintain a set voltage, probably 14.1V on a Valeo, and gives out whatever current it has to the achieve this. Even if it's ploughing 90 amps into a battery with a couple of shorted cells!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Hello guys
Thanks for your answers. of course it's a "fun" and learning project because I have one alternator that I know for sure that it's O.K. and I want to see how it reacts in comparison to two old Delco Remy's that I know that they have a problem.
Btw - how can I know the model of the Valeo?
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

That's not easy. They're not renowned for labelling their products, other than putting their name on them.
Take a trip down to the auto sparks and ask to borrow the alternator catalogue. If you're lucky, you'll find a picture that looks like it. Check the tech spec for measurements you can compare, take off the reg and see is it the same.
If it all checks out, you can cross reference and find the Valeo number.
I think they make it tricky because they're OEM equipment for lots of vehicle/machinery manufacturers and the "proper" way to source them is through the parts dept for the manufacturer in question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD