First C5, finding my way.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crsdys

First C5, finding my way.

Post by Crsdys »

Hi,
This is my first Cit(c5 2.0 hdi) and things havent started too well, when the guy sold it to me he said how all it needed was the rear disks and pads throwing on,(which were included in the deal) he couldnt do this as he recently broke his wrist.!!! Now come to think of it he may of broken his wrist from trying to dislodge the rear calipers, lol. i have now grinded off the old calipers and have new ones on order,the crosion between the two metals was that severe the caliper hit the wheel and the disk.Now to my questions,i have only bunged my brake pipes with rubber bungs whilst i wait for the new ones,will starting the engine force out all my brake fluid(im not sure if brakes are linked with steering and suspension etc ) from pressure.as i could do with running the engine to find my oil leak ,oil sat in divits infront of rocker cover. Also can somebody tell me exactly how the suspension should behave as it seams to have sank since parking it. Thanks in advance, :)
waynedance

Re: First C5, finding my way.

Post by waynedance »

Just a thought if you have a mk1 C5 the rear calipers can be swapped from right to left so you can have a new non corroded side. I did this to mine years ago when someone told me they were the same, and been ok since.

Braking system is separate to the suspension and steering. The suspension should not really sink, when unlocking the car and opening the door I can hear my pump leveling the car out, when I pull up and get out of the car the suspension always drops a little and again levels out.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Crsdys

Post by Crsdys »

I noticed they weren't handed when I took them off, would love to swap sides but I have the shank of the bolt stuck / chemically and thermo nuclear bonded to the caliper, got a good deal on a new set though, do the c5 mk1 have a bleed sequence. Thanks.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Not sure on there being any special way on bleeding the brakes, I did change my brake fluid by bleeding all 4 corners until new fluid come through.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The C5 has a conventional braking system, so you can start the car with the pipes as you have them, just don't press the brakes. It is best to change the calipers, as you cannot (without massive effort) extract the bolts. Just smear a little coppa grease or similar onto the caliper where it touches the radius arm, this will repel the corrosion a little longer.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Crsdys

Post by Crsdys »

Thanks for input, back brakes like new. Disks, pads and calliper for £75 a corner bargain. :-D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

how much oil in the recesses? I think some oil or diesel is kinda normal... if you are losing plenty or leaking on the street maybe not so...

brakes
75 a corner I suspect is good :)
I don't want to think about this job by the sounds of it
John
Crsdys

Post by Crsdys »

Not a great deal of oil lost, I've cleaned the whole bay and checked it daily and don'tseem to have any leakage so will kep an eye on it, Put it through an mot and passed only with one adviseory, slight bind on front brakes, so there'sa job for sSunday, The way I'm going to build it from scratch,