First bit of welding ever

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

First bit of welding ever

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
My 1998 S2 Xantia estate needed an offside rear sill repair this year, the first bit of welding for a 16 year old car.

I am planning to flush the sills with Waxoil very soon but I am wondering if it would be acceptable for future MOTs
if I drilled some holes in the top of the sills on the doorsteps and put in grommets so that I have access to the
inside of the sills to apply wax-oil through.

any thoughts please?

regards

Nigel..
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
exect

Re: First bit of welding ever

Post by exect »

You can gain access without drilling holes in the doorstep by removing the seatbelt bolt on the inside, and in my case the hole was already through to the sill but you may have to drill.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: First bit of welding ever

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I was initially thinking about pulling back the carpets and drilling a 6mm hole in the back of the sills behind the carpets.
This would give me a hole big enough to get a high pressure small gauge tube into.
I'm not to sure about disturbing the seat belt mounts whether its a great idea or not I'll release them and feed them with some lube for 24 hours first. Thanks.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.