ZX steering column adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

ZX steering column adjustment

Post by Sl4yer »

Yet another problem.... (well, it is nearly 10 years old so I suppose its to be expected...)
The steering column adjustment on my ZX 1.4 is now quite loose. I don't drive it much (the wife does though) but when I drove it today I easily shifted the (non-powered) column in the car park. (I was on my way to get a new tyre, but thats another horror story [}:)] )
Haynes isn't helpful at all - the only mention of the adjuster is where to put it when removing the steering column. This leads me to believe (hopefully incorrectly) that the adjuster is an integral part of the column.
So my question is: can the adjuster be replaced, and how much is a good garage likely to charge for doing it? (If its more than plugs and air filter, I allow the 'experts' to do it!)
Thanks,
James
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I wouls suggest a trip to a breakers, I think the adjuster is pretty much a part of the column, by the time you have removed one youll know how to replace it! I have dismantled a couple of ZX dashboards recently (dreaded Matrix) and the whole column comes off pretty easily once the plastic shrouding is off.
Stewart