not heater resister

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nod
My Cars:

not heater resister

Post by nod »

Hi I have a 2003 C5 petrol, the heater fan stoped but the symbol on the heater panel lit up for a few moments after the car was started then went to a hollow symbol, I have replaced the heater resister behind the glove box lhd car, still no fan working, any ideas? the fuses in the car appear to be ok do any of the fuses in the engine bay have anything to do with the fan? I took the car to a local Citroen dealer and they said without looking that it probably needed a whole new heater at around £380 plus.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: not heater resister

Post by Peter.N. »

I think it quite likely that the fuse is in the engine bay, it certainly is on the XM, its quite a heavy fuse, at least 30 amps. I have looked in the Haynes manual but can't make head or tail of it, there seem to be a number of fuse in the circuit. Fortunately mine hasn't gone wrong yet so had no experience.

Peter
nod
My Cars:

Post by nod »

found fuse 18 in the engine bay its 40amp and that is for the heater fan but its ok so whats next?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check and see if you have 12 volts on the connector to the blower.

Peter
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

certainly sounds like the resistor,a common problem on the C5 apparently, I have had 2 go on 2 cars now, last one being a couple of weeks ago.....mine was located close to the clutch and the symptoms sound correct, fan blades light up for a few seconds,no fan runs,then the go hollow.....I don't mean to make you sound daft, cos I know nothing about cars, (the resistor is about my limit of knowledge) but you have definitely changed the resistor and not something else?? cos it sounds exactly like the resistor,luckily,mine was the resistor and I got one off e bay for £22.............
C5 X7
nod
My Cars:

Post by nod »

Hi, well my wife took it to the mechanic and it turned out to be the heater motor, he replaced it here in Denmark for 3100dkr. not cheap but everything is working OK now, love the car but I think its going to take a lot of TLC to keep on the road.