Zx 1.9 d relay help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

Zx 1.9 d relay help

Post by radar »

Hi all,
Another fault has started to appear and I want to know is it a common fault ?? or have I got a problem starting which I can fix early
only when its damp or been raining the water level light starts flickering on startup and continues for about twenty seconds then goes off.... water level ok
also the indicator relay starts clicking on its own free will and come on or off intermitent driving or stationery, indicators not been used .. nothing is flashing or anything just this mad clicking
is water getting into the rear of fuse panel ?? no signs of leaks or staining to prove, so maybe water is getting in elsewhere ?? any ideas guys ???
many thanks
Ray
ghostrider
My Cars:

Zx 1.9 d relay help

Post by ghostrider »

I'm not familiar with the ZX, where is the fuse box? If like the BX and CX its under the glove box water getting into it could be the problem, I've had similar problems with both the BX and CX, if you fix it now it could save loads of agro as the fuse box is a multilayer set of boards which I wound up replacing several tracks with lengths of insulated wire.
On the Cx it was a leak in the seam between the inner wing and the front scuttle which dripped nicely onto the fuse box, cant remember where the BX leak was from but it took a while to find laid on my back looking under the dash with a torch while my other half played the hose over the outside.
On the CX although the fuse box is on the passenger side the leak was on the drivers side and then ran across the car in the hollow section forming the windscreen hole and from there it dripped out through a pin hole in a weld straight onto the fuse box! so look very carefully, when i dropped the fuse box on the CX water poured out of it, so try lowering the fuse box first and see if water drips out.
Failing that it could be a duff earth somewhere, the ones near the battery being notorious
Pete
________
HOW TO BRAISE
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Ray,
I had the same relay clicking problem on my ZX. It seemed to be related to the indicator stalk switch. Moving the stalk around seemed to stop the clicking for a while. Before I had the chance to investigate earth problems or chaffed/broken wires I was happily driving along when smoke drifted up from around the indicator stalk along with burnt plastic smell (nice!). Replaced the indicator switch with one from breakers (£5 from brakers, ~£30 new). This has solved the problem so far with no clicking. Taking the old switch apart revealed burnt contacts and melted plastic. You can replace the switch without removing the steering wheel, it needs a 'little' persuasion though..... If you have an air bag other precautions may be necessary. I deactivated mine as per Haynes manual.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Duncan
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Thanks,
I will investigate stalk and locate a donor part
I will browse gsf as I need some other bits too
CU
Ray
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

These switches would seem to be troublesome as ours failed on our ZX at about 65,000 miles. GSF quote £22 +. . . - hardly worth getting used for that price especially as they would seem weak.