C5 with a manual gearbox problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

C5 with a manual gearbox problem.

Post by handyman »

In my quest to obtain another estate car for work, I've been offered a C5 HDi with a manual gearbox. There are one or two negatives as to whether I take on the car, the first being its green! :mrgreen: :rofl2:

The second problem, which is more of an issue, is that it is stuck in gear. As the car is very low mileage, I thought its got to be worth a punt, as the asking price is acceptable, but I'd like to know what the likely problem could be. Are these gearboxes the ML5T variety as fitted to the later larger Xantias? If yes, I'm assuming this could just be a cable selector problem, as I know the gearboxes tend not to have the same internal problems as the BE series or either of the auto boxes.

A scan of the archive does not show any relevant topics, so does anybody have any useful advice, other than not to buy it?

I have noticed, in my quest to find a decent, cheap C5 estate, that there seems to be quite a few manual & auto transmission cars with gearbox faults. Has PSA build quality gone downhill after the demise of the Xantia?

Handyman
Last edited by handyman on 20 Feb 2014, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 with a manual gearbox problem.

Post by SaabC5 »

Manuals not known for having gearbox problems, autos are definitely the weak link. The manuals do tend to whine a little when you come off the power but other than that seem pretty reliable.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, most PSA manual gearboxes seem to be bombproof, the older ones anyway. Which gear is it stuck in and is the lever stuck in that position or only the box?

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Gear cables are known to seize up on the c5. The good news is the cables are available individualy and we're about 30 quid.

The sign - a solid lever or if its very floppy then the cap could of popped out at the gearlever box end. Yes its exhaust off. But i dont think thats as fiddley as old used to be.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Thanks for that bit of info, Paul. I knew you'd answer the question rather than make a comment.

Is the cable seizure caused by lack of lubrication? I always thought these cables were self-lubricating.

I'm assuming if the cable end has popped off the toggle, its going to be at the gearbox end. I am surprised as the car has only done 50K miles. :shock:

If its cable replacement, do I just need to pop off the front section at the downpipe or is it more drastic than that?

Handyman
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It can pop off usually in the remote control house under the car.

confirm it if you can. Remove the air filter and pop the cables off the box then try toggling the gears directly on the gearbox.

swing the lever for forward/backward simulated moment and push down and pull up for neutral..

its the front section only.. ring clamp at the manifold. . Rubber support bracket at the front and another ring clamp near the centre..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto