cleaning carpets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

cleaning carpets

Post by froggy »

Hi, just got myself a very grubby series 1 Xantia. carpets a filthy. any advice on products that work the best with elbow grease. thanks Terry. :-D
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Re: cleaning carpets

Post by bxzx16v »

You'd be better of hiring a carpet/upholstry cleaner from one of the diy chains or supermarket . It will achieve way better results . It might be advisable to wait until (if) the weather picks up or it will take an age to dry . Where are you located ?

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: cleaning carpets

Post by Timmo »

for a general good clean bucket, Hot water, All Purpose cleaner, Screenwash, Scrubbing brush, microfibre cloths, Trigger spray bottle, Decent hoover that can handle sucking up some dampness and if you have one, a gardening knee pad (the cheapy £1-2 ones in tesco are spot on!!)

In the homewhares isle in the supermarkets with the mops and buckets you should be able to find a scrubbing brush that for want of a better description Is the shape of an iron (obviously a little smaller) with Stiff bristles, Usually around a pound, these are Ideal!
most supermarkets have Own brand All purpose cleaners for £1.50ish, normally Bright yellow too! ;-)

fill bucket with hot water and a Healthy dose of the A.P.C. and screenwash, drop a microfiber cloth in it and the scrubbing brush, fill the trigger bottle up with an A.P.C. mix and screenwash too and warm hot/water (it'lll cool quite quickly but the extra warth helps),
Hoover out the worst of the carpets, use the trigger spray to coat the carpets in a relatively generous manor, grab the scrubbing brush and shake out the worst of the water and Scrub the carpets, Vac out so the water doesnt Soak in too much, repeat if needed, The scrubbing brush is also great for cleaning the plastics, if the seats have waterspots on them then they will need doing, but you need to do them on a complete section like the back and base otherwise it'll spsot up again, some of the more basic trims (the old herringbone one for example) take a brushing a lot better than the more soft veylour ones, the latter react better with a microfiber cloth scrub, as will the headlining,

its often handy if you have an old sponge to take it with and use to put on the nds of the seat rails if they are uncovered as punching one when scrubbing HURTS!! ;-)

a few form an old Xantia i did a few years back,

After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor