Xantia HDI ABS fuse.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boltonbloke

Xantia HDI ABS fuse.

Post by boltonbloke »

Hi. Can someone please tell me how to find the ABS fuse on a Wreg 2litre Xantia HDI please? I need to disable the ABS system as it is faulty and dangerous. I cannot take time off the road to get it repaired at the moment so need to disable the system temporarily. I need to drive 200 miles tomorrow so would appreciate a reply as soon as possible. Thanks a lot. Tony.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia HDI ABS fuse.

Post by citroenxm »

Its not fair on any of us to tell you on a public Forum how to disable a safty feature..

It should fixed. Whats the problem? Are the brakes releasing when aproaching a Junction when slowing???

If so, this is useually caused by the ABS Ring Teeth either rusted away, or even split on the CV joint..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It isn't fair, but if he's going to drive it anyway...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I dont want to be seen to be giving public advise that could cause serious problems Mike. I did it once before and i got shouted at for it, in a big way.

So.. no, Id advise fixture of course but not any unsafe disableing - Admitidley while the ABS light is on it is disabled..

I think... urmm. does it make sense?? #-o #-o #-o ](*,) :help2:

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I would point out many low spec Xantia's were sold WITHOUT ABS with an otherwise identical braking system. My Dad's 1994 SX included. Are they a danger to everyone else on the road too ? It didn't feel dangerous to drive to me. As for the fuse, its clearly listed in the owners manual, no big secret there.

ABS is great but lets not over-inflate its importance. In the two years I've owned my current Xantia I've made dozens of emergency stops due to idiots on the road but I think I've only triggered the ABS once or twice.

It clearly needs to get fixed ASAP but as an emergency short term measure its better to have it disabled than malfunctioning. I know exactly what malfunctioning ABS feels like - it's NOT nice to put your foot on the brake at slow speeds and find no brakes for about a second causing you to nearly run into the car in front of you. That's dangerous.

Taking the fuse out will leave the ABS light on so is a constant reminder its not working and can't be hidden from the MOT man.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm with you Simon - if the ABS here is playing up like mine was, then taking the fuse out is the best course of action whilst putting the repair in hand. Mine was so dangerous I stopped (just!) at the side of the road and took the fuse out.
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes. I agree with Simon. I'd gladly tell the OP which fuse it was if I had a Xantia handbook. I managed to drive cars and motorcycles with no ABS for the first 15 years of my driving life without a problem...

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well if your having a light ref to me i once made some disabling advise i was shouted at and advised NOT to. So i wasn't taking that chance again

I agree lower spec cars to not have abs on earlier cars yet almost all s2 xantias had them if the system is there it should be operational.. but once again im wrong with the wrong advise.

nothing more i have to say on this matter..

Carry on as you were..
I

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Mike: Same here, I drove from 1990 to 2005 in cars with no ABS, the Xantia I bought in 2005 was the first car I owned with ABS :)

Paul: Nobody is saying you're wrong. You're being cautious, there is nothing wrong with that. If you feel uncomfortable giving such advice nobody is trying to force you. However someone else may come along and answer the OP's question.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont be daft Paul
your reasoning/feelings/thoughts are perfectly correct even though the majority sway the other direction,

there is going to be doooose and dont's in these sorts of scenarios
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

We don't know when the ABS is disabling itself. If it has taken itself off-line at startup then this is not an issue (it means it is not available at all), but if it fails whilst driving then it is a scary problem, as for a few moments the brakes stop working as the ECU tries to work out what has happened. I had this happen once on Gracie as her N/S/F sensor glitched. Very scary to have no brakes in damp conditions when I was trying to slow down. Fortunately the only thing that was damaged was my nerves. I knew the sensor was playing up, and had ordered a replacement.

It is likely a sensor has failed on the OP call, and this will help you track down which one it is;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=26012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moderators, please forgive me, but I am going to post up the fuse number. In my opinion a (potentially intermittent) faulty ABS system is far more dangerous than a disabled one. Given the choice, I would much rather slowly skid into a child that ran out into the road than slam into the same child because my brakes were unavailable at that moment.

According to the owners handbook (version X2-GB-4001) the ABS ECU fuse is under the bonnet, fuse 1. It should be a 20a fuse.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well done James. Hopefully now the OP can have a safe journey.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenxm wrote:Well if your having a light ref to me i once made some disabling advise i was shouted at and advised NOT to. So i wasn't taking that chance again

I agree lower spec cars to not have abs on earlier cars yet almost all s2 xantias had them if the system is there it should be operational.. but once again im wrong with the wrong
I
You need to stop being so paranoid Paul. No one was having a pop at you. If the OP wants to disable his ABS then it's nobody's business but his. Hell, my Audi Quattro coupe had a switch on the dash to switch it off!

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The point I was trying to make was sometime ago I advised a similar problem and there was a big blow up about advising disabling things on a public fourm .. advise fixture yes.. and PM Prehaps a cure.. so that's all I was getting at. I agree he needs to be able to stop correctly and if it's the releasing brake syndrome as you are about to pull up that is Scarey and is not an actual broken sensor but more the abs ring teeth on the cv joint either the gap is too big or the abs ring is split..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Paul, I agree with you. That is why I posted the link to the sensor test. However, as I said in my explanation, I would rather have a slow accident than a fast one due to an ABS system that had found a fault and was trying to diagnose it.

I can understand your attitude. Once bitten, twice shy. I don't know the circumstances, so I cannot comment further. However, I would hope that, in this instance, as the information is freely available (either through the owners' handbook or Haynes manual or a good Internet search) the moderators would be understanding.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!