C5 handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

C5 handbrake

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
The handbrake has started sticking on on my c5 exclusive estate 52 plate...........it works it's way off after a short while, is this a big job?? new cable?etc? cheers......
C5 X7
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 handbrake

Post by Lighty »

New cable is horrid on the C5, because you need to change the steel tube, very trickery to remove the steel tube.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

really? and is that likely to be the problem?? getting just about fed up of this car.......think e bay is calling :(
C5 X7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mines doing the same, I cured it on my XM by spraying oil all over the cable, give it several good coats and it soaks in.

Peter
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I changed one of my cables, for this reason, soon after getting car... I don't remember it being that bad. Was expecting worse.. John
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 30#p387020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On my C5 I replaced the RH cable easily, it pulled out of its tube with the help of a slide hammer but the LH one wouldn't come out and needed a tube.

A bit of a Chinese puzzle to fit the new tube but not really too difficult.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Before accusing the cables, check that one or both calipers are not sticking - at least as common a fault.
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

You can easily tell if the calipers are sticking, with the hand brake off and suspension set on high, turn the steering wheel on full lock so you can reach each caliper and pull down the lever that the handbrake cable is connected to.

If it can be pulled down it indicates slow release and if the wheel is getting warm after driving them maybe its sticking on. Of course you can jack up the car and spin the wheels after pulling the handbrake on and off as well.

But the question is, is the lever sticking inside the caliper or the handbrake cable inside the guide tubes (rust causing the cable to be crushed inside). By pulling the cable off the lever with a mole grips or pliers (* this can be done without removing the wheel), you can then move the cable back and fore to see if it slides easily and check the lever to see if its sticking.

I have had plenty of trouble with my calipers but am managing not to buy new ones for a couple of years now.
With a syringe i inject plusgas through the rubber dust protectors on the calipers and also attached extra external springs that help pull the lever back down/off. Personally I think the existing spring arrangement does not have enough strength and the caliper / handbrake slowly gets worse once they start playing up until they are jamming on. With the extra spring each side the lever is pulled back down to its starting point, though i still have to inject plusgas say twice a year.

The first sign of trouble is a warm / hot wheel or the car slow to free wheel off a slope / gradient....

I have also changed the guide tubes on the car. When they grip the cable from rust build up you can either buy new from the dealer or if you want to economise and have plenty of time, burn them in a drum and rod out the old cable sleeve and crud/ rust, though obviously they wont be as good as new ones but if you lubricate them well / pack with grease they should be okay. What usually happens is water gets into the tubes from the wheel arch side and causes the rusting. You can help prevent that by pushing grease in around the new cables.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sticky calipers, also a STUPID idea of a cable in a tube, which will extract IF VERY LUCKY or sieze in which is common, a stipid idea.

These are a couple of a few that DO put me off the C5. Who ALSO is the idea of having the open end of the guide tube pointing UPWARDS so that any fine spray of water etc can get in the tube and cause mayhem!!

I did a Passenger side tube and cable wekk before last, and though I did NOT need to remove the exhaust, what I did move was the heat shield t one side and the exhaust support rubbers and plate just at the bottom of the down pipe.

I then found that if I fed the guide tube in from the wheel arch across past the lower of the exhaust BUT had to be a bit force full, and made sure it passed the lower side of the exhaust support plate, it did go back ok..

Cables are connected inside the car to the equaliser plate under the centre console.
deano1970 wrote:really? and is that likely to be the problem?? getting just about fed up of this car.......think e bay is calling :(
Yea, C5 not the best car, theres NOTHING wrong with the old cable sleeve and cable as per Xantia and XM ETC. I wonder if our european counterparts will ever design and make a FULL length flexy cable to sit in place of the Tube, I reckon it would be PERFECTLY feasable!!
Last edited by citroenxm on 29 Jan 2014, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Just had to free of my caliper and was thinking of extra springs.

What did you use and where did you attach to?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

waynedance wrote:Just had to free of my caliper and was thinking of extra springs.

What did you use and where did you attach to?
Who is that to Wayne?

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Jeff :-D. He fitted extra springs as posted above.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ahh Sorry Wayne..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

I do hope that this will be of some help.

The driver’s side hand brake cable of our 2007 C5 Estate broke and removing it from the tube even after trying to lubricate it seemed to require far more brute force and ignorance than was reasonable.

I was trying to pull the cable out of the tube (after disconnecting from the hand brake lever) from the wheel arch end with the tube still installed in the car because the new cable needs to go back in from that end.
There was sufficient broken cable sticking out to enable the chuck of a variable direction and speed electric drill to be attached to it.

By rotating the drill relatively slowly in the same direction that the steel hand brake cable was wound and at the same time pulling the drill, the cable began to come out. When sufficient cable was exposed it began to curl up on itself.
It was necessary to disconnect the chuck from the cable and slide some 15mm diameter copper tube over the exposed cable and hold it firmly against the hand brake cable tube. Re attach the drill and continue rotating and pulling until the cable began to curl up again, use a longer length of tube and continue rotating and pulling, one hand holding the 15mm tube up to the hand brake tube, the other pulling the drill. (I worked the cable in and out by pulling and pushing the drill to try and clear or lubricate whatever was causing the resistance to removing the old cable.)

You could of course cut the old cable as you extract it, but I would advise against that because the new cable has to be wound into the hand brake tube in the same way by attaching the chuck to the linkage and pushing the drill.

You will need to feed the new cable into a sufficient length of 15mm tube to stop the new cable from tangling itself into various sized loops. As the cable goes in use a shorter length of tube (I used 15mm copper because I had some).

Before inserting the new cable put grease into the handbrake tube by whatever means you can, most of it seemed to come out the other end ahead of the new cable so put a cloth or kitchen roll at the saloon end to collect it before it makes a greasy oily mess.

Good luck
Andy.
If it can happen it will.