Xsara 2.0 HDi 90 Fault code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xsara 2.0 HDi 90 Fault code

Post by RichardW »

Lexia'd my sister's 2.0 HDi 90 (Siemens) this afternoon, as it went into limp mode a few times a couple of weeks ago. Fault recorded is Fuel pressure regulator flow. Fuel pressure looked OK, tracking the reference pressure reasonably, and pressure regulator position looked steady. She did say that the light came on when coming off the power, rather than putting it on, which leads me to think that maybe the regulator is a bit bunged up, and was unable to change flow quickly enough when coming off the power. Next thing is to take the regulator out, and clean the filter on the end I guess - any other thoughts? It was mis-fuelled a while back - and run for a short while on unleaded, so I am slightly suspicious for the life of the pump....
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xsara 2.0 HDi 90 Fault code

Post by Mandrake »

Did you go into the actual fault code to see if any freeze frame data was stored ? (Press enter with the fault highlighted)

Generally there will be additional data such as the rpm, throttle opening, battery voltage and hopefully the desired and actual fuel rail pressure at the time the flow rate fault was logged. Knowing the exact conditions it occurred under may give additional clues.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I did look at it Simon, but didn't take a copy of it (it was getting cold, and I still had to Lexia the C4 to put the light off!) - occured at around 2500 rpm, fuel pressure looked OK (up near 700 bar), and there was no obvious mismatch between requested and actual positions. It hasn't done it since - I drove it from S Queensferry to Lanark yesterday, didn't cane it, but it drove fine. Maybe just a duff tank of fuel, but somehow, I expect it to be back... :-D
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I wonder if the saved fault is a red herring ?

Some temporary faults are self clearing after X number of starts without the fault reoccurring, so it could have been something else like a turbo over boost that trigged the engine management fault light but if it didn't reoccur after a certain amount of use it may have already cleared the code itself. The fault code currently logged may not be one that will set the engine management light and may be unrelated.

(For example on my car an open circuit oxygen sensor doesn't set the engine management light, and the fault code also clears itself after 40 starts if the fault is fixed and doesn't reoccur)

The only way to really know is to clear the faults and get the Lexia onto it quickly after the light comes on again...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ah could be.... I didn't actually clear it. Perhaps I will just have to borrow it, and thrash it till it comes on... :)
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's got worse (it's taken to cutting out now, and is reluctant to re-start), so I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow, and clear the faults and see how we get one. Got a Siemens filter (ie the one with the knurled ring round the edge) - how difficult is getting the lid off? Hand tight, or back to the trusty hammer and screwdriver =D> I suspect we will end up having to replace the pump, but let's see what's in the filter first.... :shock:
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

RichardW wrote:It's got worse (it's taken to cutting out now, and is reluctant to re-start), so I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow, and clear the faults and see how we get one. Got a Siemens filter (ie the one with the knurled ring round the edge) - how difficult is getting the lid off? Hand tight, or back to the trusty hammer and screwdriver =D> I suspect we will end up having to replace the pump, but let's see what's in the filter first.... :shock:
I had meant do mine today (again)
Did attempt it a few weeks back and failed to get the top off, tightened by a gorilla or glued on.
I have acquired some rubbery sheet from work to give me some extra grip and intend to put a heat gun on it to expand the ring a bit in the hope it will come loose.
I have belted it with a hammer onto a length of wood wedge into the grips but there was no movement whatsoever.
The previous C5 was no trouble at all removing but did unseal itself a couple of weeks later. A quick hammer/wood treatment fixed that.

Mine was last changed almost two years ago when I had a lot of work done on it including new timing belt, water pump, tensioners all the brakes renewed and various other odds and ends.

I'd advise against a screwdriver as you may crack it and replacing it is an undesirable expense. I did try an oil filter strap wrench, already there from changing the oil filter, but it would not grip and just slipped on the plastic.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ah joy.... I was going to remove the filter complete anyway, so it may well end up in the vice to get it undone, if necessary I can make up a tool to bolt onto it to turn it. My Sis might be a bit annoyed if I break it, and she has to walk home. 40 miles :-D

Edit - reminds of first time I changed oil in my BX TD. Get ready, and under it to find sump plug has only a square hole. Off to Halfords to get a tool, buy 'Universal tool' that does everything, except BX sump plug. File 1/3 off one of the ends so it fits, with a small file (no handle), and no proper vice at that time. Get it on the plug, will it shift? No chance - has to be hammered to free it. Next onto the filter. Can't shift it with any tools to hand, so off to Halfords (bike now, as no oil in car!) and buy a strap wrench. No, that won't have it either. Back to Halfords again, and get a chain wrench. That *just* gets it undone - how flipping tight did the previous fitter need to put it on???? Complete oil change - took me about 3 hours :?
Richard W
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

RichardW wrote:took me about 3 hours :?
You're lucky. Either your Halfords is not far away, or your a demon on the pedal bike :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Look on ebay for "oil filter pliers". Not only do they make short work of any oil filter I've used them on (including the DRK one that's been on at least 8 years) but they grip the diesel filter locking rings tightly without too much pressure and open them easily.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Good tip Mike - manged it this afternoon anyway. It's easy to drop the filter out of the car, and then we were just able to get enough grip on the lid with a chain wrench, and counterhold the filter against the vice and it let go. Turns out it's not been replaced for over 60k miles.... Initial results are promising - it made it 40 miles without the light or cutting out, just waiting to here if she made it home as well with no more drama.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It made it home OK with a good thrash along the M8 from Glasgow to Edinburgh, so new fuel filter appears to have cured it :lol:

Had a look at those pliers Mike - they look evil :twisted: Might have to get some =P~

Now we move on to the rather more expensive COMS2000 replacement to put the air bag light out. And I wonder if it needs a new rear subframe.... :roll:
Richard W