106 1.0 tuning

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms

106 1.0 tuning

Post by ohms »

I'm really sorry to have to post this and I know the question deserves some serious stick but needs must, so here goes...

Just bought a very healthy 1.0 106 A-b runaround, it has done 27K with an OAP owner and FSH. It drives like a little minter, except for one thing...It's seriously slow!!

I have previously owned a 1.1 and it went like stink so wasn't really expecting much of a difference...But seriously, the difference is huge.

They rate this engine which is a spi model at 50bhp, but it's the lack of torque that makes any kind of gradient a real pain and of course overtaking.

To this end does anybody have any ideas for getting a little more out of it. I think it could do with a little more igntion advance...I'm wondering if peugeot specifically detuned this engine to make it fit into the engine options list. No car should be sold that is this slow, it's only 760kg's afterall.

Thanks in advance.
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 106 1.0 tuning

Post by Oldpug »

Looking at your garage list ohms,no wonder you think this 106 is slow.Your correct they would not pull the skin off a rice pudding and there is nothing much that will make it any better (except change the engine).Mind you as its only done 27K with an OAP I bet its never been "driven" in its life and never been over 3000rpm?.
If it was mine I would flush the engine with Forte engine flush,change oil & filter,check air filter etc.Only the very early models with a distributor had adjustable ignition timing.(check if nec`)If its a later model with a cat`? it could be blocked? Then put Forte gas treatment in the fuel tank and give it a "thrashing" for miles to clear the cob webs.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

From what I remember Peugeot discontinued the 1.0 at shape change (1997) although Saxo's continued to use this unit.

The earlier carb ones are not "too" bad but the monopoint 1.0's seem to be a bit sluggish.

Four speed box ?

For what its worth (and off topic) the MK1 Fiesta 950 (ie 1.0) vs the 1.1, the 1.0 was actually faster but drank fuel badly compared to the 1.1. Unrelated random note.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ohms

Post by ohms »

Thanks guys.

Yep, 4 speed box...Actually quite enjoyed it in the last 1.1 I owned, less cog swapping saving my aged leg, but not enough torque in the 1.0 to leave it in 4th pretty much everywhere.

I have flushed the engine with some 20w-50 that was kicking around in the garage and then changed all the filters and filled it with some Castrol GTX that was on offer. New NGK plugs fitted yesterday and erm...It' still unbelievably slow. :(

Found this on ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-106-1 ... 4aa56b74d1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a stab for the asking price??

PS. I sold the RX-7 and bought a 550hp skyline GTR...Now if I can just get 60 brake out of this damned 106!!! :rofl2:
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I'd be wary of anyone saying they can get 20% extra from this engine with some sort of piggy back chip. Maybe some weight reduction would help....take all the seats out? Get on a treadmill twice a week? :rofl2:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
ohms

Post by ohms »

LOL The treadmill has been softly calling me for the past few years, is this 106 going to be the cause of the start of a beautiful long term relationship?!?

PAH...I'll sell it and buy a GTI first!!!! :-D

According to the advert it's a complete new plug and play Eprom chip, so old program out, new program in.

A bit of reading of his feedback unearthed a very satisfied 1.0 AX owner who claimed and I quote "the chip did everything as advertised". Presumably the 'goes like a rocket' part with the decat was also true. Although I won't personally be able to substantiate that particular claim. ;)

Might offer him £20 and see if he bites, interestingly he only sells remaps for the 1.4 and 1.0 which (maybe) suggests the other offerings were already well tuned from the factory and he couldn't do much with them...Just a hunch of course!!
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
ohms

Post by ohms »

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on where I'm at with trying to get a bit more poke out of this flacid 1.0.

I bought the ebay performance chip which arrived yesterday. I made an offer of £20 which the seller accepted, so £26 all in with delivery. Fitting was a piece of cake. ECU opened up and old Eprom chip taken out and new one in it's place, 10 minutes had the car 'chipped' and up and running again.

I have driven about 100 miles with it fitted so far and I am pleased with the results. The car has got more low down, light throttle torque which was exactly what I wanted. It pulls more cleanly and more readily on very light throttle openings. Runs like factory with just a bit more torque.

The big surprise so far though has been the increase in economy. 80 miles to £10 worth of shell high octane driving like a plonker!!

It'll go back onto regular unleaded tomorrow when I fill up and will report back on my findings after a proper weeks economical driving.

So to summarise...I'm pleased :) Was actually considering getting shot of the car this week because it was so sluggish but will keep it now, it has enough poke for getting from A-B without annoying the hell out of me.

It pulls as cleanly as my old 1.1spi did from low down, although still can't quite match it at higher RPM's, but if the fuel economy is better can't complain.

De-cat might sort the higher RPM breathing issues but not too fussed either way. Certainly not interested in spending anymore money on it.

Thanks again
91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ohms wrote: LOL The treadmill has been softly calling me for the past few years,
i think evilally meant for the 106 :twisted: :rofl2: :wink:

also wont de/catting it cause issues at MOT time????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years