Xantia making rude noises!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PhillipD
My Cars:

Xantia making rude noises!

Post by PhillipD »

Hi,
Sorry to bring the standard of this board down but I've noticed lately that my Xantia (97 1.8i 16V Desire) is starting to make very rude noises about 2 or 3 minutes after parking and stopping the engine. It sort of makes a creaking noise and then literally sounds like it is farting as you see the car sink to just over the tyres. Is this normal? Could it be expensive to fix?
Thanks
Phillip.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Hmm, lets see...
Your car shouldn't sink, because it's got anti-sink spheres, so I'd check these.
Could also be the rear arm bearings, what's the mileage ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's only 1 anti-sink sphere (at the rear), and it has nothing to do with holding the suspension up - it is actually a brake accumulator.
Does the car sink at both ends, or just one?
I would suspect that one or both anti-sink valves have failed and are letting the pressure off back to the reservoir. Diagnosis might be tricky though! The funny noise might be because the fluid is going back via the PR and / or pump where it really shouldn't....
Richard
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Both of my Xantias made that same farty noise at various times, although they didn't do the sinky thing, and they dont do it consistantly.
If you set the height corrector lever to the bottom on my Xantia after switching off the engine you sometimes hear fluid rushing back to the reservoir and sometimes you also get the farty noise, apart from the farty noise I consider this normal behavior
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We had a discussion a while back about the noise, and I think it is a pipe down the LH side of the engine bay somewhere that vibrates, and it can be cured by putting some rubber insulators between said pipe and the bulkhead. However, that still doesn't alter the fact that an anti-sink car shouldn't sink! I have yet to work out why a failed anti-sink valve should cause the car to drop immediately it is switched off - given that the height corrector should lock out the suspension when there is no call for it to be raised or lowered??? More reading of the technical bible coming on I think!
Richard