306 clicking when cold!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

duxster

306 clicking when cold!

Post by duxster »

I have a late 99 306D LX and everything is fine except for a really annoying noise!!
When started from cold I get a loud clicking noise from the engine bay. It only seems to do it when driving and it sounds like an electrical type relay click and whilst difficult to locate appears to come from the drivers side of the bulk head (may be wrong).
As it only does it for the first 5mins or so and only when moving it is difficult to identify.
Any ideas?
Cheers
duxster

Post by duxster »

Just a bit more info is it helps!!!
This morning I got in the car and turned the ignition for the heater plugs and I get a load relay type click from the bulkhead area. If I turn the ignition off a second later it clicks again.
Any ideas?
Cheers
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Failing glow plug relay - quite common on PSA D/TD cars. Not sure where it is on a 306 D, but GSF stock relays to fit most models.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

From what you describe, this sounds like the heater plug relay. This is situated on the Passenger side inner wing. This is a Black or Blue box with a block connector and a thick wire leading to it.
It is not unusual for these to fail. On my 309D I removed the box and cleaned the thick wire terminals and never failed in 4 years and 100,000 miles!.
On the 306 there are two more round relays close by. These (I think) are the timers. On mine there were suspended by skyhooks allowing water to enter and eventually lead to failure. I have tied these up the other way round to try and stop this.
This could be the clicking sound and the relay work
duxster

Post by duxster »

Cheers
I will look into this... One thing if I can hear the relay does that not mean it is still working or do they get noisy before breaking? The heater plugs work fine and the car whilst abit lumpy when cold starts first time.
Cheers
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

One more thing, on my fathers 205d the relay appeared to fail, this tourned out to be a faulty earth return from the block connector, so bear this in mind if yours fails!![:)]