Fly by wire or cable controlled throttle?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jotto

Fly by wire or cable controlled throttle?

Post by jotto »

Was wondering if our Xsara Picasso ( 53 plate ) had an electronic throttle, a simple cable controlled throttle or a combo where a cable links to a TPS somewhere?
The pedal is stiffer than Im used to and nothing seems to happen when lightly pressing. From where things start to happen and foot on the floor seems like a very short distance and I wondered if there was any adjustment available or if it was at all possible to see throttle position when using Lexia.
Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi ( 53 plate )
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Fly by wire or cable controlled throttle?

Post by citronut »

i think it will be cable operated direct to a throttle butterfly,

if this is the case you might find you are not getting full throttle with the pedal to the metal,

so you need to adjust the spring steel clip on the outer cable end/engine end
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jotto

Post by jotto »

citronut wrote:i think it will be cable operated direct to a throttle butterfly,

if this is the case you might find you are not getting full throttle with the pedal to the metal,

so you need to adjust the spring steel clip on the outer cable end/engine end
Cheers will take a look in the morning. =D>
wellad
My Cars:

Post by wellad »

The HDI has a cable operating a TPS, as there's no butterfly on the diesels :wink: The TPS lives under the scuttle, just beside the brake fluid reservoir. It's not unknown for the cable to stretch, meaning you won't get full throttle. If you find the pedal stiff then there might be a problem somewhere along the cable's run. Since you're operating a potentiometer rather than a butterfly there should be nothing to make it stiff.

Lexia can tell you the current throttle opening in the Injection menu, without having to run the engine (so there's no need to be sooting up the garden :lol: ). If nothing seems amiss on the mechanical side of the TPS, this would be the next thing to check. It's very rare for a TPS to fail without a fault being generated, since they have two potentiometers running parallel that have their readings cross referenced.
2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 110
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Worth noting that Citroen has deleted the old TPS, and replaced it with a pedal potentiometer and a receiver unit, cost over £100 for the parts.
The 1.8 petrol has a throttle butterfly controlled by a cable, but the later 1.6 & 1.8 patrols are fly by wire.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wellad wrote:The HDI has a cable operating a TPS, as there's no butterfly on the diesels :wink:

sorry did i miss something, i could not see what engine this Pissscassoooooo has

wellad wrote: The TPS lives under the scuttle, just beside the brake fluid reservoir. It's not unknown for the cable to stretch, meaning you won't get full throttle. If you find the pedal stiff then there might be a problem somewhere along the cable's run. Since you're operating a potentiometer rather than a butterfly there should be nothing to make it stiff.
i would think it is still possible the cabel slack/free play could require adjusting/taking up, even on a remote pot??????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jotto

Post by jotto »

citronut wrote:
wellad wrote:The HDI has a cable operating a TPS, as there's no butterfly on the diesels :wink:

sorry did i miss something, i could not see what engine this Pissscassoooooo has

wellad wrote: The TPS lives under the scuttle, just beside the brake fluid reservoir. It's not unknown for the cable to stretch, meaning you won't get full throttle. If you find the pedal stiff then there might be a problem somewhere along the cable's run. Since you're operating a potentiometer rather than a butterfly there should be nothing to make it stiff.
i would think it is still possible the cabel slack/free play could require adjusting/taking up, even on a remote pot??????
Sorry, my mistake, I always try to put enough info in but this time made a bit of a faux pas! It is indeed the 2.0 hdi. :oops:
As soon as wife gets home will go and see where the cable goes and if there is any free play etc and make sure we get full throttle.

Would I be correct in thinking the only thing that should offer any kind of resistance would be some kind of spring?

Whilst being stiff, it does seem to be smooth and not sticking.
wellad
My Cars:

Post by wellad »

I remember this poster from another thread about a lack of power, its a 2.0 HDI.

Of course, it can be adjusted, the cable side is identical to a butterfly setup. Any adjustnent will be due to the cable stretching, was my point.

The cable moves a spring to give it a return, but as there's no butterfly involved it shouldn't get gummed up or stiff. It should really only get easier, as the spring loses springyness.
2003 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 110
Ttwlr

Post by Ttwlr »

Anyone got photos of the HDI throttle cable bit in engine bay, need to adjust mine a bit