Black Goo dripping onto C5 alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fthornton

Black Goo dripping onto C5 alternator

Post by fthornton »

Hello,

I bought a 2003 C5 (2.0 Hdi with auto box) with about 100k on the clock for my sister about 3 months ago.

She has recently complained of a foul burning smell that only seems to happen when the heating is set to warm / hot. All oil and water levels etc are all as they should be.

On closer inspection there seems to be black goo dripping from the housing of the part (which has a number of bent metal pipes attached) that sits above the alternator.

Please would anyone be able to tell me what that part is and how much it might cost to fix.

Thanks,

Fred
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Black Goo dripping onto C5 alternator

Post by Peter.N. »

That will probably be the hydraulic pump, can't see why it should have black goo dripping from it though, in any case there is nothing hot near it that would cause a burning smell, I would think it more likely that you have oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold which is round the back of the engine.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome Fred.

Check your LDS reservoir, the fluid should be a light orange colour. If it is black then something is seriously wrong there and may cause further problems.
As Peter says, there should not be anything black leaking from the suspension or power steering pumps.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I had a very slight LHM leak, a few drops a week, from the pump onto the alternator, it must have been leaking for years and the alternator had a dark coloured goo on it too. Fixed pump leak and no goo on the alternator now. A few weeks after fixing the pump the alternator gave up and had to be replaced.
Sounds like you may have a slight leak on the pump. I'd clean it up and see how bad it is.
Foul burning smell from the heater on hot could well be dust burning off if it's not been used for a while.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
fthornton

Post by fthornton »

Thanks for all the helpful replies, apologies of not responding sooner but I assumed I'd get an email alerting me.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

fthornton wrote:Thanks for all the helpful replies, apologies of not responding sooner but I assumed I'd get an email alerting me.
You had that option turned off, it should be working now.