Wide Ratio (Motorway) BE3 Gearbox?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Wide Ratio (Motorway) BE3 Gearbox?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I find myself needing to change the clutch in my Pug 405, 1995 'N' reg, XUD9B 1.9 engine, Diesel normally aspirated. Suspect knackered pressure plate. PAS and A/C equipped.

I have a faint recollection of there being a rare but nonetheless existing wide ratio gearbox / final drive (BE3) unit for this engine, which might assist even more relaxed cruising on the motorway, improve the already excellent fuel consumption and lessen the load on the 215,000mile engine. The old girl (my only vehicle) is mostly used for long runs; a bicycle suits for shorter ones.

Am I correct? Will I find one on a particular PSA derivative (or two) in the scrapyard? What am I looking for in terms of identifying such? Perhaps some sort of code on an identifying plate? Will it bolt straight in? Is there any simple check that its a good un before I buy? Is any gain going to be worthwhile, or so nominal I might as well stick with the existing box, which is good?

Also, after a thorough read of the BoL, a couple of questions?

Do I loosen off the drivers side engine mount?

How do I know when to stop lowering the jack supporting the engine? Can I lower it roughly an inch? Three inches? More? I don't want to put too much strain on the offside of the bodyshell and potentially put the whole car out of alignment!!

Do I need to remove the rad? After head gasket issues on previous vehicles, messing with the cooling system of this vehicle, which has touched barely a drop in 35k; gives me the heeby jeebies. Haynes BoL says I do. Is this fair comment, or is it remaining fitted gonna cause me sufficient agro that I'm gonna be happier with it out?

Anyone got a return hose with working bleed valve if the rad's gotta come out? Maybe a tip or two so's I can be completely 110% that I've purged the system of air. No header tank on this one, filler is on the top of the rad itself, which isn't the highest point in the system; not the best bit of design.

Also anyone got a rev counter pick up, flywheel end? Rev counter fitted, never worked in my ownership. Did try one replacement pick up, that didn't work; but possible both it and my original duds.

Assuming this has got the later Torx bolts holding the pressure plate on, I'd like to buy a quality Torx bit to get 'em undone with. Anyone know the Torx size?

Any other hints & tips?

Thanks. This'll be my biggest solo job to date (I've done an engine swap with a little help) and I'd like to be prepared
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Wide Ratio (Motorway) BE3 Gearbox?

Post by Peter.N. »

You really need to look up the data on what gearboxes were used and in what cars, I don't know of a wide ratio box myself but look for one from a commercial application. Many years ago I used to do diesel conversions and used a Vauxhall overdrive box and fitted CF van gears, this gave me 8 gears using the overdrive to fill in the gaps, worked a treat, nice low first for getting away and relatively quiet on the motorway.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think a box from a XUDT would be higher geared than a NA XUD unit although I'm not 100% sure. I do recall something about if replacing a XUD with an XUDT the box should be changed to prevent over-revving (ie better acceleration but lower top speed) so with the NA XUD and a turbo box you'd have higher gearing.

I think.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I think you're right Andy, this is my recollection as well.

Does it have a Bosch pump? If so, the easiest way to reduce running costs is to stick some veggie in the tank :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks people, me thinks its a trip to my favourite local scrapyard, who at the last time of asking had several 405 TD's in (surprisingly enough). Its got the Lucas Rotodiesel in it Ally.
Puxa
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Having owned both a 405 and a 406 TD, I think the 406 has slightly taller gearing. I'm reasonably sure but I haven't driven the 405 for 3 years now. I'm sure I saw all of this somewhere online, or even if you sign yourself up for a servicebox account, it might give you details about gearboxes in various cars.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

How about putting 406 15" wheels on, it'll give you an increase on the gearing without affecting pull off too much.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

now that's a blooming good idea, 15" 406 wheels. Shame I didn't think of that weeks ago when I was given three of 'em (sold for peanuts). The weather forecast was favourable and the clutch was dire, so I got on with it (in the road). Can't believe how light my clutch is now. Service from "Doctor_Car" on Ebay was excellent, £81 for a Borg & Beck clutch kit.
Puxa
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

It will make the speedo read low, but checking it against a satnav will give you a good idea of just how far out it is.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Was going to say changing the rolling radius (if that's the right terminology) will effect the speedo but its allowed to be 10% anyway as far as I'm aware, so you might be OK but it *could* go too far, as Mark's said a satnav etc should point out if its going to be a concern or not.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG