Radio code Saxo Solved and a £2.50 service from main dealer!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Radio code Saxo Solved and a £2.50 service from main dealer!

Post by isisalar »

Need to get the Saxo's radio working and the wife's lost the code. I've paid £3 to download an application which I can't make head nor tail of and the only code it's generated so far has come up with the error message, so only two more chances. I've got the serial and model no.'s, can anyone help before I have to go to the stealers and part with £20?
Cheers
Paul
seems it's let some bugs in too, need to do some cleaning up.
Last edited by isisalar on 09 Jan 2014, 17:26, edited 4 times in total.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Radio code Saxo

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Try looking for the Birdman on the forum. He can get codes, but I don't know how much he charges.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Take it you've searched any paperwork you have with the car, in case someone has written it down. There was a time when the code was written on some radio chassis but I expect that has been stopped due to security. Until I got the new C5 which has no code, I have always found it either in the "Entertainment" booklet, or some other sales stuff from the original owner. Only once I had to go to an indy place who reset the code to 0000 and charged me £30.

I though it was transponder codes the Birdman could get.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You could be right, but what is it going to cost to ask him.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Moot point re. The docs. Gave the wife the grey wallet with all the handbooks and cards complete, with instructions to keep somewhere safe, not in the car. She now denies ever having had them. Women!
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: Radio code Saxo Solved and a £2.50 service from main dea

Post by isisalar »

Dug around the net a bit more today and came across an ad on e bay for a Citroen main dealer offering codes for £2.50, payment through paypal. I phoned them after I'd paid as I was expecting to be asked for some information and hadn't. The parts dept. knew of my order immediately and gave me the code from the reg no. over the phone. they normally respond by e mail. Code works, so very happy and must recommend Evans Halshaw, Leeds. Here's the page with the ad. :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=saxo+radio+code" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They can only go by Reg no. so no good if the radio's been changed.
Local dealer wanted £20 no doubt +vat, the car, the log book, the serial no, and the model no. Heaven knows what they would have charged to slide the radio out to get the no's, incidentally a wire coat hanger makes a great radio removal tool.I'll try to get that ad onto the recommended services section, it's a no brainer if you need a code.
Hope this is useful.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Glad you got it sorted, but are you not a bit concerned that you got the code by giving them your regd. number over the phone? That would mean I could get the code for £2.50 by quoting your regd. number?
Is that a legal service?
Rick.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I did consider that point, but as I had paid by PayPal that makes it a pretty secure transaction in the first place it's not like I was just calling out of the blue, normally all done by e mail too. Easy enough to get a code for 20quid if you have a serial number anyway. I consider it a fair price for the service and the sort of thing that all the stealers should do for their brand owners.
For a while, back in the late seventies, I worked in a VW dealership in LA.The parts department made no charge for anything under a dollar, on the basis that the cost of the paperwork ate up any profit and the footfall and goodwill generated more than paid for any costs incurred. Worked quite well.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ qprdude - You could get the code, and then what? You'd have to break into his car, steal the radio, put it in another car ... and also hope whether or not the code actually works ... :D ... if it works, great, you got a £30 radio with a car break-in charge ... if it doesn't work, you've spent £2.50 on nothing and still get a car break-in charge ... :D ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Don't know about where you are mate, but there are a lot of people who make a living from that here. Chances of getting caught are pretty low and it pays for the next fix.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Croatia, as far as I know, manufacturer car radios aren't exactly hot stuff here ... if you had an Alpine unit for 1000€, that would be a completely different matter ... :D ... but, I'd guess it all depends on the make of the car, Citroens here aren't popular to thieves of any kind ... VW's, BMW's, Mercedes' ... the german cars are high on the list ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Don't know about where you are mate, but there are a lot of people who make a living from that here.
Not from manufacturer radios they don't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I wouldn't think that anyone could make a living stealing car radios today, 15-20 years ago , before coding was introduced and stereos weren't standard equipment, maybe, I could buy a legit replacement for £50 including code, so what's a 'hot' one worth?
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes they do. up here, they will take anything at all even if it's worth a fiver. Only in certain areas of course but my daughter had a rover radio nicked and a workmate had his VW Golf taken a few weeks ago. They are not the brightest sparks but they are desperate.
I just don't think it's a great idea to give out a code for a couple of quid with no questions asked.
Rick.

Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

had this recently on my Dispatch - in the end i took a chance and phoned the dealer that had originally supplied the van ( the phone number was on the stamp on service book) after a couple of questions like what mileage is it now, whats the chassis No and a couple of others about where i live etc they looked up the original info on their system.

Always worth a punt if this happens to anyone else on the forum
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer