xantia hydraulic pump leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aboutyeabig
My Cars:

xantia hydraulic pump leaking

Post by aboutyeabig »

(Xanita 94 LX TD, no aircon)
Is it possible to replace the seals in the hydraulic pump to stop it leaking?
the LHM is leaking out where the pump is bolted together, just beside the wheel with the belt on it.
Are seals available to do this?
Has anybody done this before?
Or do you have to replace the whole pump?[:(]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I had this, and replaced the whole pump. With me, it was a time / money thing, far easier to get a recon one.
There are sites around which suggest that to recon the pump is not a job for your weekend mechanics !
Mat.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Yes. This has just happened to me - apparently overtightening the aux drivebelt can wreck the pump in just this manner.
Mine was repairable - some new bolts and a large O-ring later, it's held together for the last 500 miles and is a definite improvement over the way it used to perform. Going by my experience then, the degradation in hydraulic performance should become noticeable a good 10000 miles before the pump actually lets go!
And no, I don't think it's a job for the weekend mechanic - I had mine done "professionally" - my next door neighbour owns a garage...
aboutyeabig, GET IT FIXED PRONTO - BEFORE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME HAPPENS TO YOU.
You have been warned!
Stu.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Woops - didn't notice the date on this... The OP's either fixed it or dead!
mikeread
My Cars:

Post by mikeread »

Had the same problem with my L reg TD SX. I had just left home and he STOP light came on. I opened the bonnet to find LHM everwhere. I got home, and put in some more LHM to find it being pumped straight out again. I found one of the bolts had sheared and limped it very slowly the 200 yards to my local garage as I did not fancy trying to exract the remains of the bolt. When they came to fix it they found a second bolt had sheared.
2 hours labour to fix. £5 for the bolts and a new O-ring plus the cost of an LHM refill.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

My pump was leaking a little. I was looking around for a replacement but before I found one the pump decided to spray LHM everywhere. When I got it home I looked and saw that one of the bolts holding it together appeared to be missing. Closer inspection revealed that it had sheared. I was trying to get the old part out to replace it, when I looked again and saw that a second bolt had also sheared. Anyone else had this problem?