Purchase, what to look out for, 53 Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jotto

Purchase, what to look out for, 53 Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi

Post by jotto »

So the wife is quite smitten with the local Xsara Picasso we looked at yesterday. We have confirmed it has a MAF issue and seller is happy to negotiate on price.
Needs a few little bits but nothing too major from what I can see, brake pads, ball joint rubber ( so would just replace the whole thing )
Has a FSH, full MOT and iirc 2 months tax.

Any issues that are common with these cars or things we need to look for? Someone I spoke to mentioned the DPF but Im unsure as to what to look out for. I think seller said it was done recently but I dont know what that means.

Car has covered 105k miles. New cam belt and water pump at 95k. New tyres recently ( Yokohama on the rear so not cheapest tyres available ) which makes me think car has been well cared for.

Also, whats the difference between a Desire and a Desire 2? Putting the reg into sites tells me its a Desire 2.

Hopefully going to seal the deal today so any info greatly appreciated. Also based purely on my description with car being in VGC, ballpark price from private seller?
Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi ( 53 plate )
Northern_Mike

Re: Purchase, what to look out for, 53 Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi

Post by Northern_Mike »

There's no DPF or DMF on the 2.0HDi models. Pretty simple really. Check the AC and all the other electrics work, including the heater direction controls, all the stalk functions, there's no airbag light or any other warning lights and it should be ok. I like them, but prefer the clumsiness and extra space of a Berlingo, so I bought one instead.
jotto

Post by jotto »

Thanks Mike. No lights on that we saw. Will check air con and all other things you mentioned when we go back to seller in an hour or so.

Are you aware of any common costly issues with these cars? Also any special tools needed for simple jobs?
Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi ( 53 plate )
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

All pretty straightforward as far as I know. The usual Citroen electrical issues can be found - dash pods, iffy senders for temperature, dodgy airbag/comm 2000 units are all a possibility but if it's all working now then I wouldn't worry about it. None of those issues are particularly expensive to sort out as long as you look on here, the picasso forum or the Berlingo forum. It's got the 2.0 8v engine which is pretty bulletproof even if not too exciting.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Rusty sills?

R
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

triumphtoledo wrote:Rusty sills?

R
thats an understatment!!!

look closely for any blistering however slight, and press on any you find to see if your hand/arm disappears up to you elbow :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink:

i have fitted a complete sill to my friend 03 Piscassssoooooo,

on removing the old one/chunk of rust that was left,
i discovered the sill drains were completely blocked with the mastic/underbody rubberised coating,

there have been several cases of severely rusty door sills on these
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years