53 Plate, 2.0HDi Xsara Picasso low on pwer?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jotto

53 Plate, 2.0HDi Xsara Picasso low on pwer?

Post by jotto »

Hi, first post so hello to all!

We are looking at a 53 plate 2.0HDi with a view to purchasing it but it seems to be lacking in the power department. Other than that, its a great car, good condition, FSH, clean etc.
I know these have the 90BHP engines and so are not overly powerful to begin with but this one just seems sluggish to me.
We have an 01 Ford Galaxy with the 110BHP 1.9tdi engine and according to everything I have read, the picasso should be slightly faster 0-60 but compared to ours, this one feels dead on its feet ( or should that be wheels? )
I know it wont mean much, but going up an incline on the test drive, I was in 3rd gear foot to the floor and car was not accelerating. Felt like it was holding back. There is no audible turbo noise and no noticeable kick if/when it cuts in. Not sure if this is normal on these cars.
Also on initial start up, I did notice a slicght 'kick' in the engine when revved and a little smoke but this was the only time it was apparent. No smoke on drive or after when warm and smooth when revved when warm.

Looking at other posts, first thing to look at seems to be the MAF. If I have read correctly, simply unplugging it, if it is faulty, will improve the performance. Other than the engine check light coming on, are there any downsides to this? Not sure if the seller will be happy me asking to disconnect it and ligts coming on. Should they reset when plugged back in?

If not the MAF, worst case is Im thinking its the turbo.

Any other ideas? Appreciate any help.
Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi ( 53 plate )
Northern_Mike

Re: 53 Plate, 2.0HDi Xsara Picasso low on pwer?

Post by Northern_Mike »

It's likely to be the MAF, but they are not the fastest things in the world, and the turbo "boost" doesn't kick in like on an old fashioned turbo-diesel engine. It should accelerate up a hill in 3rd though.

If you unplug it, the light will come on, but it *should* reset itself after 5 engine starts with the thing plugged back in. The one on the Berlingo 90bhp certainly does :-)
jotto

Post by jotto »

Thanks for that. Now to ask the seller how he feels about me unplugging it!

Just checked vehicle weights etc and the power to weight ratio of the Galaxy and the Picasso are similar (ish!)
jotto

Post by jotto »

OK, so had a word with the seller. He had already mentioned the issue to a mechanic friend after this mornings test drive, who suggested the vacuum pump. When I said about the MAF he was happy to try it.

Disconnected it and the difference was clearly noticeable. More power and we accelerated up the incline.

Couple of questions now. The ECL didnt come on, should it have? I assumed it would but if the MAF is partially working perhaps it wouldnt? Finally, with a new MAF installed, would the performance be the same as with it unplugged, better or worse?
Thanks in advance.

PS, Best place to get a new MAF? Obviously cheaper ones are availabe but are they a false economy?
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

I've just got a new MAF from Citroen, £134 it cost me, but thinking that a cheap £30 ebay jobby would probably break after a few months if it works at all.

This part will no doubt last the lifetime of the car.
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

cpikey316_ wrote:I've just got a new MAF from Citroen, £134 it cost me, but thinking that a cheap £30 ebay jobby would probably break after a few months if it works at all.

There have been a few members who have tried the cheap eBay ones and been very disappointed with them.
jotto

Post by jotto »

myglaren wrote:
cpikey316_ wrote:I've just got a new MAF from Citroen, £134 it cost me, but thinking that a cheap £30 ebay jobby would probably break after a few months if it works at all.

There have been a few members who have tried the cheap eBay ones and been very disappointed with them.
Thanks all. I guess its a case of you get what you pay for. Anyone know who the OE manufacturer is? I looked at a VDO one from Eurocarparts, think it was about £80.
Any ideas about the performance with a new one fitted, same, better or worse than with it disconnected?

Edit.
Am I being dumb or is this the same part but one just doesnt have the manufacturers name on it?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... d2c&000009

@ £79.20, supplier number of 8ET 009 142-141, Engine code RHY(DW10TD) and Model Code (N68) and

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citro ... 30a&000009

@ £53.40 with same specifications?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I believe the OEM is Siemens but can't guarantee that .
jotto

Post by jotto »

That sounds good, I think VDO and siemens are all part and parcel of the same group.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yes, come to think of it I seem to remember that VDO are a Siemens spin-off
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I got a 'OE' standard one from GSF about 7 months ago, IIRC it was in a VDO box and cost about £90, still going strong.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)