Rought start up with white smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DiggerDaft

Rought start up with white smoke

Post by DiggerDaft »

Hi guys, I have a 205 stdt L reg 113k , had a air in fuel issue when I got it which is sorted now, not long after I got it home I discovered that the head was badly pitted, so a brand new head went on. Everything is running fine, it holds water no problem, the only thing is in the morin when I start it up it stutters and won't idle on its own so for about a minute I have to gently hold the foot on the throttle, there is puffs of weight smoke also, and it's quite smokey when driving and you put the foot down. Can anyone shed any experience on this please,
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Rought start up with white smoke

Post by myglaren »

My guess would be glow plugs, probably just one or two, not all.
DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

Ok no worries thanks for that. Will let you know how I get on with that. Do you know anything regarding the cold start on the fuel pump? Like settings or the screw adjustments?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The cold start device on the pump doesn't do much when it works but by the age of your car it probably hasn't been working for a long time so I wouldn't worry about it. Nice car though I like those.

I would agree with Steve re the glow plugs.

Peter
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

As the head has been off the injection pump timing has probaly been disturbed,
if it's retarded this could cause the whight smoke on startup and black smoke under load (it will also be harder to start from cold).
You can set the pump timing by ear, advance it a little at a time until it starts to knock under load, then back it off to the previus setting.

To set it properly you need specail tools, but by ear should get it close enough.
Is it a Bosch or Lucas pump ?
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, that's a possibility, although one tooth out usually makes it very difficult to start
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Peter.N. wrote:Yep, that's a possibility, although one tooth out usually makes it very difficult to start
I'm not talking about crank/cam/pump timing.
It's injection timimg, if the pump has been removed/disturbed then the injection timing may have changed.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh right, I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to disturb the pump.

Peter
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I've never had the joy of removing the head on a XUD engine, so wasn't sure if the pump would need to come off or not.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its not necessary to disturb the fuel injection pump on this unit in any way to remove the head.

On the XU7DT its far easier to take the head off with exhaust and turbo attached, just remove inlet manifold and exhaust services.

Only annoying part is the front plate with the cam sprocket really (oh and the turbo feed pipe! put that back before the inlet manifold or you'll do like me and have to take it off again!)

The cold start solenoid advanced the timing a bit but mine never worked I threw it away and put in a blank it was fine like that even in severe winters.

Don;t over look air ingress, the back of block fuel heater on the 1.8TD's can be a pain.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

Spider you mentioned the fuel heater there, that's where the fuel lines run into from underneath the car and warm water circulates yes? I had to bypass this and go straight to the primer housing as I was drawing major air from it and the engine was revving like mad. Should I still be using this??Will it make any difference on start up as the water that circulates it will be cold anyways? I just replaced the glow plugs for all new Bosch ones and no difference :( it's a Lucas CAV pump on it, had a wee tweet with the stop adjustment, just got it to idle steady at 1000 rpm, white smoke for 3-4 mins.

By the way thanks so much for your comments guys this is all great help.
spider

Post by spider »

It won't cause any problems until it wax's the fuel (not quite yet) I made one from some microbore piping, I'll try to find the pics later.

Does it actually run lumpily when its smoking ?

How about when its stopped smoking does it run fine then ?

Suggest a clear piece of pipe between filter and pump inlet so you can check for air ingress.

Check leakoff pipes too (More a problem with Bosch than Lucas)

White smoke can be injectors / pump timing / internal concern such as head gasket or head
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Fuel heater (the top hat unit will not fit on the 205DT unless you want to do away with the oil cooler, been there tried)

One large one small pipe, cleaned and soldered (yes its enough it does not get that hot!) together for max transfer:

Fitment:

;)
Andy.

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

The pimer it's self can leak air, the older push button ones are known for this.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

spider

Post by spider »

Yes that's a good point I had to replace mine, you see the one in the pic is a third party one (a brand new Ford one iirc) although it was 100% fine, took spin on cartridges (much easier and less mess than the internal paper element job too)

You'll notice the one way valve (to the right of the filter in the pic) this is because I was chasing a poor start condition, the one way valve fixed.

I've started to miss that car more and more lately :( I had it for 7 years (!) which is a record its usually a year or at most two between a change. It was still 100% at near 200K (only just run in) very powerful (relatively) and was about spotless no oil leaks etc)
Andy.