How to connect the outside temperature sensor on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alexmoritz

How to connect the outside temperature sensor on C5

Post by alexmoritz »

Hi!

I've recently bought a Citroen C5 (2005 with the slightly modified face) and have an issue with the outside temperature sensor - it is missing :-D

Seems as if the car had the wing mirror with the sensor replaced and they didn't bother to move the sensor from the old to the new mirror. I opened the mirror and the space that normally holds the sensor was completely empty, there was also a hole on the bottom of the mirror rather than the little knob from the sensor.

Anyway, I've bought a sensor, fitted it to the mirror and then opened the door to connect the sensor. Unfortunately though, the sensor only came without a plug that would indicate where the sensor needs to be plugged in, I would assume normally people have the cable still in the door and only replace a broken sensor, they don't need to bother with plugging it in, not in my case.

There is a control unit for the wing mirror in the door that controls the different functions of the mirror (open/close, position of the glass, heating), so I assume that the temp sensor must be plugged into the unit as well, but I don't have any indication as to where and how.

So basically, does anyone know where the two cables of the temperature sensor must be plugged in?

Thanks

Alex
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: How to connect the outside temperature sensor on C5

Post by Peter.N. »

The normal procedure is to remove the sensor, cut the wires in the mirror and solder and sleeve the new ones on, don't have to remove the panel then. As that is the way I replaced mine I'm afraid I don't know where the connector is but if you look for two thin black wires and follow them you should find it.

Peter
alexmoritz

Post by alexmoritz »

Hi!

No, that's the issue, they completely removed everything including the wires, so I can't follow any wires as they now longer exist :(

Thanks

Alex
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh I see, I can only suggest that you have a good look for a socket that matches your plug, I'm afraid workshop manuals are not very good with such information. I have changed them on the XM with the door panel removed but can't remember where the socket was, sorry I can't be more helpful, maybe someone will be along who knows.

Peter
alexmoritz

Post by alexmoritz »

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I guess it is a relatively specific question :(

The unfortunate issue is that the temp sensor is not being sold with a plug but only with a relatively short wire so you can solder it to the old wires :) So I don't even have an indication how the plug might look like.

Worst case I have to go to a Citroen dealer and pay him to figure it out, I am sure someone at PSA knows how to connect the temp sensor.

Alex
Last edited by alexmoritz on 27 Dec 2013, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ebay pics may help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-20 ... 5401c93d82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
alexmoritz

Post by alexmoritz »

Hi!

Thanks for the pic. I assume though that Citroen might have modified the mirror in 2004 when the C5 had a revamp.

My mirror already got 8 wires (plus two for the mysterious temp sensor) and two plugs, one with 6 pins (similar to the one on the eBay pic) is used from what I figured out for the mirror glass motor and the heating, the second plug (so far only two of the 6 pins are being used) is for the powered open/close feature of the wing mirror. I assume that because the 2nd plug still has 4 empty pins, the temp sensor might go on this one but a random test didn't work, though not sure how long it must be plugged in, how often the temperature reading is being updated, if I need to re-set the control unit or at least turn the ignition on/off etc. as I don't get any reading (just a --) right now on the display, so I assume the control unit has detected that nothing is plugged in and therefore doesn't give any reading, not even a false reading. That might mean that I have to reset the control unit for a reading, not sure ;)

Alex
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If you short the temperature gauge leads together it should give a very low reading as opposed to the sensor going o/c which gives a high reading, if you have any spare connections try the effect of shorting them and see if the reading drops.

Peter
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Are you sure that you are looking on the correct side of the car? On the Xantia the sensor swapped between right and left but there were mounting holes in both mirrors.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It plus into pins 5 and 6 of the control unit inside the door.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
alexmoritz

Post by alexmoritz »

Wow, thanks so much, will give it a try.

Just to make sure we are talking about the correct plug, I've uploaded a photo of the control unit in my door (on Google Drive as the board gives me an error message that the attachment quota has been reached):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_d4M5i ... WZnbjdSX0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plug no 1 seems to be for the basic functions of the mirror, mainly the motor for the mirror glass and the heating. Plug no 2 has 6 pins in total of which two pins (I assume 1 and 2, not sure from which side to start counting) are used for the 'powered flip' feature of the wing mirror. The 3rd plug I assume is for the electric window.

So basically must I connect it to plug no 1 or no 2? Both seem to have 6 pins, so it would theoretically fit either one...

Thanks again!

Alex