Xantia 1.9TD SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rob-iom

Xantia 1.9TD SX

Post by rob-iom »

Hi everyone, I've recently bought my first Citroen and I love it! I've been driving it for about a week now and I've never driven anything like it. Here are a few pics of it, shes a bit rough around the edges but I haven't paid mint money for it :D

The only problem I've got with it is that the heater motor has been wired up to a separate switch as the control doesn't work, also the rear demister doesn't work along with the aircon. Are all these problems related? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia 1.9TD SX

Post by citroenxm »

YES, They ARE all related ..

WELCOME to Xantia owner ship, you have a nice Late model there, SX with standard Alloys that came on SX on the Series one Run Out.

The problem is useually the Ignition Switch itself burning out! A replacment is the useual fix. SHOUT Ive LOADS of series one spares in a shed!!!

IF That doesn;t fix it it could also be a Supply to the Fuse box, as they are all on the same cuircuit, its known for french wiring to break up inside a cableing, and cause a supply break.

Id go ignition switch first though. HOWEVER, there IS a modification you can do involving a relay that is on here somewhere, but Im not sure if this needs to be done AFTER the ignition switch is replaced or can be done as it is.

Have a read through this lot first..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Have a check round for rust, a new area is at the back, end of the Cills, behind the Cill Lip.

If you look inside the passenger REAR wheel arch and the leading side theres a Grommet in an inspection hole, however they can wear away and leave an open hole, water then gets in and rots the cills inside out, but NOT the outer cill, it rots behind the Lip so is not seen till its too late...

Other areas inside the rear door jambs, and rear passenger quarter panel, though these two areas are Hit N Miss places, and some are good, some are bad.

Strut tops are another weak point, put the car up and look UNDER the wings at the top of the strut and check the general condition of the strut base plates, they can and do rot through, and you can IF BAD see daylight through them, this is therefore an URGENT thing needing replacment...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rob-iom

Post by rob-iom »

Cheers for that I'm going to have a look around a few local scrappies in the next few days but if I can't find any I'll give you a shout. I've just remember that I've got a bit of wierd problem with the clocks. First thing in the morning the rev counter will work but once its warmed up it stops working, also the speedo can be intermittent, could that be related to the problems with the heater control etc.

Thanks for the tips on where to look for rust etc. Tomorrow morning I'll be out and checking over all them areas :D
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Speedo is a sensor on the gearbox... They ARE known to play up.. on top of the diff, above the output of the Drivers drive shaft.

Also the TDC sensor, is in the side of the Diff, also accessable from the same area... Up on Ramps, lie under the car and look up... TDC sensor is held by a clamp with 10mm bolt, speed sensor is above it behind a metal shield...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

rob-iom wrote:Cheers for that I'm going to have a look around a few local scrappies in the next few days but if I can't find any I'll give you a shout.
Shout loud. There are few and far between in the scrappies.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

"In S1 Xantias (no A/C), the blower and HRW switches are supplied through a set of contacts in the ignition
switch (no relay). These contacts aren’t really man-enough for the direct load and eventually start to burn-
out. This set of contacts are ON only when the key is in the ‘run’ position."

IMHO, it's much easier to do the relay mod than to replace the ignition switch. Complete guide here. This guide was compiled from collected posts on the subject before doing the mod on our much loved 1995 S1 Xantia SX estate and then revised in the light of experience. I used a spare green relay from a scrap Xantia. Do buy some good quality (plated copper) spade terminals - cheap ones are much harder to crimp (even with professional crimpers) and fail all too easily.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
rob-iom

Post by rob-iom »

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice, however the ignition switch has been put on the back burner for a bit as today the dreaded heater matrix has started to show signs of failure! Driving down the A55 tonight I noticed that smoke/steam seemed to be coming out of the vents, when I got home I checked the passenger footwell and coolant certainly appears to have leaked.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide and give me advice on big do's and don't's when replacing it. I am going to do it myself, I have changed a heater matrix before on a 1989 VW Jetta not so long ago which wasn't that bad really, but I imagine that on the Xantia it's going to be a bigger job with having a lot more built in electronics etc.

Cheers
Rob
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

A55 rob? You in North wales? I am too at penmaenmawr...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

oh mate i feel so bad for u :(
but atleast u will know it wont go again for a long time!
dont loose ur love for the car they are cherished and through this u will see and understand the car ALOT better!
good luck chap! :)
loads of advice here just ask!

AND your in the best hands possible with paul mate!!
ledgend!!!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
rob-iom

Post by rob-iom »

No, I'm from Stoke I just fancied a run out after finishing work as I had the cambelt done on Wednesday and haven't really travelled any far distances yet, however being a Citroen its found a new thing to keep my mind on it!

Edit: Just seen taffy's reply, I know what you mean, when I did the matrix on my Jetta I felt as though I had found out a lot more of how things were working behind the dash etc, and once I had done it, it was a good sense of achievement. It's just one of them horrible jobs that has to be done, I definitely haven't lost the love for the car as it will be getting done as soon as I get chance, I love driving it too much to get rid of it yet! :-D
Last edited by rob-iom on 12 Jan 2014, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ah that's a shame..

well heater matrix IS a big job. It's a dash out job unfortunately. .. quite involved. I can do them in a day.. but care is needed in places to do them..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

theres nothing like the ride is there!
glad to hear u not giving up!
this will be a good topic as ur not the first or the last! :(
just take ur time and all will go well
pauls prob done 100s so he will know it to a tee!
good luck! :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I replaced my 1.9TD matrix before discovering this Forum, and just followed the procedure as set out in Haynes (worked OK for me). Despite Haynes being known as the Book of Lies, I still think every Xantia owner should have one.

You should be able to find some information by searching FCF about doing the matrix, as replacement is inevitable in long term Xantia ownership. One tip is to have a second pair of hands to manoevre the dash out, & back in again.

My TD (as per Haynes) has a clip on the plastic connector where the heater pipes in the engine compartment fit on to the matrix's pipe stubs at the bulkhead. I found it quite a fiddle depressing the clip and getting the connector to part company, though successful in the end. Somewhere I've read to be careful as it is possible to damage the connector in trying to pull or prise it off, and one recommendation on the Forum is to run the engine beforehand (either the pressure helps blow it off, or the warmth makes things more pliable). I also found it fiddly getting the assembly back together again, along with the 2 new O-rings, and getting the clip to engage correctly. Used a little fairey liquid on the O-rings.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Until you get the chance to change the matrix, try a bottle of Forte Cooling System Stop Leak.
It is fairly expensive but if anything will work then this will, it will also not cause any other problems that other makes of sealant will do.